Live Aboard - December (2017) - 4 days min - Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1979nnila

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently in Australia and want to do a live aboard diving trip while here.
I would ideally like to do minimum 4 days up to a possible of 7 total.
I want to see as much unique and exotic marine life as I can - Sharks, Stingrays, Whales, etc. all desired if possible.

Looking for recommendations of good dives and hopefully some cheaper options as the ones I've seen so far are thousands. Hoping to find something a bit cheaper that is also good.

Thanks

Nila

Wrong time of year for whales.

Where in Australia are you? It's a big country...

If you're considering liveaboards on the GBR for 4-7 days, yes, they will cost thousands. There's a few overnight options that you should be able to pick up for under $1000, but certainly not the longer ones that go out to the Cod Hole or Osprey. Best options for 4-7 night trips to the Coral Sea are with either Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom.

Hi Nila,

Departing Cairns, the world famous Cod Hole and Ribbons reefs trips have shark dives, Potato Cod feeding, sheer walls laced with massive soft corals, manta-rays, and abundant healthy tropical reefs. Spectacular!!

Cheers :)

I did a 4-day cruise on Spoilsport a few years ago and had a great time. Once you factor in what you'd be paying for food and lodging on short, the liveaboard wasn't that much more expensive (at the time I did it at least, 2011 timeframe). Food was great, and the catamaran is a wonderful dive platform. The low-level flight back over the reef (if you do a half-week trip) was pretty neat too. (In a very small plane - I was sitting right behind where the co-pilot would have sat - I could reach out and touch the dashboard. )

I shared the "budget" room with an instabuddy. It has bunk beds, and lacks the ensuite bathroom that the normal rooms have, but frankly it didn't bother me at all - there's a shower and lavatory (separate rooms) just outside.

As a solo traveler, it made the most sense even though cost was surely higher than what I could have probably done land-based, but I didn't have to worry about stuff back in hotel room while out on a day boat. I happened to go during Minke season which was very cool - it cut into the total # of dives a little, but snorkeling with whales was awesome.

For me, I love the liveaboard thing. Especially traveling solo, I'm not really interested in shore nightlife or such, I'd rather be stuck on a nice boat talking to other divers. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom