Lobster Tutorial Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In New Zealand you can use anything that doesn't actually puncture the shell. I like using a snare because it usually doesn't damage the lobster which grabbing it sometimes does if it's tightly wedged in.

You are allowed six lobsters per diver per day 365 days per year here.

Funny thing, a live New Zealand spiny lobster costs about NZ$150 per KG but we can buy frozen Canadian lobsters (with the large claws) for about NZ$35.00 per KG.

What is the deal with the net??? is it really necessary?? Where I come from (Tasmania, Australia) we can only use a gloved hand bag limit of 2/5 per day.

Yes, it is just one way (among many others) of catching Florida lobsters.
Others use lobster snares (instead of a net and a tickle stick) - just a matter of habit to me.
Or, if it is plenty of easy-to-reach lobsters - just grab 'em with your hands.

As far as I know, in some Caribbean countries they allow just shooting lobsters with a spear...

Yes, it is just one way (among many others) of catching Florida lobsters.
Others use lobster snares (instead of a net and a tickle stick) - just a matter of habit to me.
Or, if it is plenty of easy-to-reach lobsters - just grab 'em with your hands.

As far as I know, in some Caribbean countries they allow just shooting lobsters with a spear...

We use snares where I come from (although we tend to use home made ones out of PVC pipe and tie wire rather than those sexy looking premade ones on your link).

I personally prefer that because it results in less damage to the bug if you decide it is just too small or it turns out to be pregnant.

I don't know too many places that allow shooting of lobsters, but I know a few where you can hook them with gaffs, which is similarly pretty damaging (although not actually fatal).

In New Zealand you can use anything that doesn't actually puncture the shell. I like using a snare because it usually doesn't damage the lobster which grabbing it sometimes does if it's tightly wedged in.

You are allowed six lobsters per diver per day 365 days per year here.

Funny thing, a live New Zealand spiny lobster costs about NZ$150 per KG but we can buy frozen Canadian lobsters (with the large claws) for about NZ$35.00 per KG.

You don't hunt lobster for the lobster. You hunt lobster for the hunting.

I catch lobster about as cheaply as it can be caught (own all my own gear, borrow a boat, etc.). But it would still be cheaper for me to buy lobster at the super market. But waaaayyyy less fun.

"You don't hunt lobster for the lobster. You hunt lobster for the hunting.

I catch lobster about as cheaply as it can be caught (own all my own gear, borrow a boat, etc.). But it would still be cheaper for me to buy lobster at the super market. But waaaayyyy less fun"

True,

But it makes you feel like you're defraying some of the cost of diving...

For my 70th birthday the wife said I could do anything I wanted as long as she got to go along. I chose to charter a small dive boat/skipper for two days of lobster diving. Got four. Along with thee days of motel bills those were pretty expensive lobsters but we enjoyed the experience tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom