Trip Report Scuba Diving in Roatán, Honduras - August 2017 (4K)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evil,

Your approach is interesting, using very good video lights plus custom WB. Did you ever try just using the lights without the WB adjustment? Or using Auto WB?

Or did I misunderstand-you only used the custom WB in natural light for WA? That makes more sense to me.

I don't have dedicated video lights, just S&S YS-D1s that I can turn on to continuous, but will not get the power that you got.

Thanks.

Harry

Hi Harry,

My lights are not powerful enough to make much of a difference when shooting wide as they only penetrate a few feet. As such, I only use them for macro or when there is no ambient light (e.g., under an overhang). In those cases, I WB to the colour temperature of the lights. Otherwise, I custom WB to a sand patch or my hand.

Very nice video! I see huge improvement over the last one you posted. Look forward to those coming in the future :)

I’m not a video or photo guy. But I have a dive buddy that is big into it. For white balance under water he has a piece of white plastic that he drilled out and zip tied to one of his fins.

Very nice video! I see huge improvement over the last one you posted. Look forward to those coming in the future :)

Thanks very much, CajunDiva! I definitely feel that I am improving and that I continue to learn something new on every trip. My wife keeps reminding me not to be overly critical, especially given that my illustrious career in underwater videography only spans 60 dives. :p

Thanks to others for the tips on underwater WB. I have a slate and a WB card but I have been getting good results off the reef down to 40-50 feet. Beyond this depth, I don't think there is enough red left for my LX-100 to compensate. I think my best bet will be to up the lumens on my video lights.

Good dive shots...really nice color. I'm tinkering with the idea of a trip to Barefoot Cay with some rewards points.

My wife keeps reminding me not to be overly critical, especially given that my illustrious career in underwater videography only spans 60 dives. :p
Never give up the dream!!

Thanks for sharing. I laughed when your SO refused to take her reg out for the kiss so you kissed her reg instead.

Thanks for the great comments, everyone. We love diving as a family and it's fun for us to share our antics with the commmunity. Sadly, we are in Roatan right now for Spring Break and 3 out of 5 of us have the flu so no diving for us. A pox on Canadian winter!

@grantwiscour Barefoot is a first class, boutique dive op and they offer very private, if somewhat pricey, accommodations on the cay. They are our go-to dive op, partly because they are close by our condo. If you have not been to Roatan before, I would recommend doing a mix of dives on the South Side for the walls and critters and the West Side for the reefscape and larger fauna.

Back
Top Bottom