Instructors who yell for no reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in an environment were no one can yell effectively. Underwater.

Oh, I beg to differ. I had a dive buddy once who was well-known for yelling at people in the bad way topside, and who managed it quite clearly via sign language underwater. It was kind of funny underwater though because a sign language tantrum is a sight to behold. I also got a big underwater apology when he realized he'd been completely off-base. Still makes me chuckle.

If I'm paying someone to yell at me it better come with a spanking, too. Otherwise, my expectation is you act like the professional I pay you to be.

The majority of my dive training takes place in an environment were no one can yell effectively. Underwater

Going off topic (or "here goes Kosta again): I'm curious what others think, but when I watched "Diving into the Unknown", it sounded like they figured out how to talk through their rebreathers. They seem to have developed a technique.

Going off topic (or "here goes Kosta again): I'm curious what others think, but when I watched "Diving into the Unknown", it sounded like they figured out how to talk through their rebreathers. They seem to have developed a technique.

Bet that would be a fun thread.

Rebreather creates an airspace for sound to resonate a little. Pretty clear speech with a rebreather talking with your mouth full. Same goes for a FFM, or holding mouthpiece to buddy's jaw to pass on the vibrations. Or slip an old oval mask down over your mouth.

Cheers,
Cameron

Yelling isn't the worst I've seen. I once had an experience with an instructor who physically punched my (then) wife underwater because she swam too close to his class. He had put his class in tight along a jetty which happens to be one of our more popular dive sites, and my wife failed to notice them in time ... partly because she was focused on her camera.

The instructor and I had "words" after they came out of the water ... while it is true that she should have given the class a wider berth, punching a diver is never an acceptable thing to do. And punching my wife can get a person seriously injured, regardless of how justified they think it was ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yelling isn't the worst I've seen. I once had an experience with an instructor who physically punched my (then) wife underwater because she swam too close to his class. He had put his class in tight along a jetty which happens to be one of our more popular dive sites, and my wife failed to notice them in time ... partly because she was focused on her camera.

The instructor and I had "words" after they came out of the water ... while it is true that she should have given the class a wider berth, punching a diver is never an acceptable thing to do. And punching my wife can get a person seriously injured, regardless of how justified they think it was ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's actually illegal, called assault.

Yelling can serve a purpose if done in the correct way. It can teach a person to react in a calm manner when there is total chaos going on around them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A class at Keystone?!?

Had a course were the instructor "yelled" at us at the debriefing as well and was calling us certain names. But we had been talking about the tone in the military before and considered it as fun..... end of the story, divers that saw this and had nothing to do with it, started talking **** behind his back about how he treated students. The worst part is, they did not even ask US how we percieved it.

I´d say, if adults take a course and are not happy with the way they are being treated, they should speak to their instructor and talk about what´s wrong. (I nevertheless do understand, that there are people who can not do such a thing... maybe because they are to shy, but then there are usually ways of dealing with it as well)

I think it is up to the instructor and student to find a method of instruction and learning that works for them.

If you are of a mindset that responds well to shouting (military might fall in to that category), go for it with an instructor with that style. I personally can't stand it as I think if you have to shout, you have lost the ability for the person to completely understand something. The only time shouting is effective to me is a life and death situation where the action needs instant change to prevent injury or death.

I prefer to have an instructor that can quietly and calmly explain the reason why I am doing something. Don't just show me and expect me to copy - let me know the rationale for it and I will probably pick it up a lot better. It also means that I can react better to a situation that is not 100% as per the "book".

I come from a background of teaching practical skills (first aid for about 10 years) where the book says to do it a certain way. The reality is that once you leave the class room and find real scenarios they will virtually never be the same as you were taught. That is where the rational behind a skill or approach is important - I can then adapt my method to suit the particular situation.

Back
Top Bottom