Which DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Genesis rides better than an 18. Not better than 26, but then it's got a bazillion times more torque, speed and run time, so...

Lol

Reactions: mdb
May I ask why do you say that it does not ride to the level of UV-26? I'd like to know because it is my point of comparison.

PS: I don't know about bazillion of more torque, seems only twice as powerful. Where do you get that impression?

Last edited:
Like I said, it's an awesome scooter and I have a few you can borrow to try out.

So for future reference how does your demo work? Do you drop off at a local shop and we take out for a spin or do we need to meet up with you some where? (Not that I'm trying to avoid you, but we drive up from St Pete every other weekend and coordinating meeting up could be difficult.)
I was interested in the Genesis and wanted to try one after getting my cert but by that time Wayne's wasn't around. I hadn't heard anything about the new trigger until now, so I'm even more interested. I'm a huge fan of my Suexes and it would be tough to draw me away, but the engineering of the Genesis impress me. Taking one for a spin in the future could be interesting.

So for future reference how does your demo work? Do you drop off at a local shop and we take out for a spin or do we need to meet up with you some where? (Not that I'm trying to avoid you, but we drive up from St Pete every other weekend and coordinating meeting up could be difficult.)
I was interested in the Genesis and wanted to try one after getting my cert but by that time Wayne's wasn't around. I hadn't heard anything about the new trigger until now, so I'm even more interested. I'm a huge fan of my Suexes and it would be tough to draw me away, but the engineering of the Genesis impress me. Taking one for a spin in the future could be interesting.

I believe the "new" trigger is essentially the same as the old one but has a groove cut into the handle that should prevent sand/silt/mud from jamming the trigger.

May I ask why do you say that it does not ride to the level of UV-26? I'd like to know because it is my point of comparison.

PS: I don't know about bazillion of more torque, seems only twice as powerful. Where do you get that impression?

UV's have basically no rotational torque due to the low torque of the motor and heavy mass of the unit itself. When you have a powerful and light scooter, it tries to twist itself out of your hand like a screw gun when the screw hits a knot. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. I complain about the torque on @victorzamora 's Magnus and don't find it comfortable to ride compared to my UV26. There are some techniques that you can use to counter that, however I don't have enough repetitive hours on them to have that bit figured out yet. Bonex and SS have come out with torque reducing fins on the shroud to help minimize that rotational torque and it depends on how sensitive you are

Haha, you'd have to ride one to understand. I have to UV26's. I can run them no hands.... Try that with anything of real power and it'll corkscrew. The Genesis is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than any SS product, but dear God it demolishes the UV line.

Let me know next time you're at Ginnie or Manatee. I'll meet ya there. Go dive it. I might even buy you lunch afterwards :)

UV's have basically no rotational torque due to the low torque of the motor and heavy mass of the unit itself. When you have a powerful and light scooter, it tries to twist itself out of your hand like a screw gun when the screw hits a knot. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. I complain about the torque on @victorzamora 's Magnus and don't find it comfortable to ride compared to my UV26. There are some techniques that you can use to counter that, however I don't have enough repetitive hours on them to have that bit figured out yet. Bonex and SS have come out with torque reducing fins on the shroud to help minimize that rotational torque and it depends on how sensitive you are

This is correct. I'm not sure if it's battery placement, handle or prop efficiency, but the Genesis doesn't try to corkscrew as bad as my Minnus 2.0 did. It's still worse thanks 26 though.

Rddvet, I liked the Suex, but everytime I borrowed one, I managed to snap off the nut retaining the prop. I guess my packing was too aggressive.

Also, I managed to get water inside once when a student made a mistake sealing it back up after charge. That sucks. I can lend demos of the Genesis and never have to worry because they never need to crack it open. Also, it burns longer and faster. I'd love to switch with you and see which one does first. :)

Old handle, trigger was recessed in pocket with proximity switch that turns on when distance between magnet and sensor are reduced. Debris in pocket would not allow magnet to get close enough to activate sensor. (left handed handle shown). This design is still used for the reversible handle, since the trigger is symmetrical from the top and bottom of handle.
Old style Left Handle.jpg

New handle, trigger is below handle and with a bypass type switch that sweeps debris out of the way when pulled. It also allows an easier grip on the trigger when you don't want to lock it ON. Lock tab in picture is shown behind trigger (locking it OFF) to prevent accidental operation.
Genesis Trigger.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom