Need advice on UW Photography learning trip Grand Cayman vs Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCheckman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to decide whether to go to Roatan or Grand Cayman this September for diving and one on one uw photography lessons. I am looking at Cathy Church's operation in Grand Cayman (Sunset House) vs going to Roatan and taking lessons with Francesca Diaco and staying at Cocolobo. Has anyone had experience with either that can give me some help deciding. The flights are cheaper and shorter from New York to Grand Cayman. I have some experience but I am looking to step up my game and really learn the correct settings and strobe placement. I shoot with an Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II and I have one Sea & Sea Strobe and a 9-11 mm lens as well as my 14-42 kit lens and a macro wet lens adapter. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,
Another option might be a Bluewater Photo/Travel trip or another photo trip organizer. I have been on a few and they really help you up your game. It is an inexpensive option for All the help you receive.

I am trying to decide whether to go to Roatan or Grand Cayman this September for diving and one on one uw photography lessons. I am looking at Cathy Church's operation in Grand Cayman (Sunset House) vs going to Roatan and taking lessons with Francesca Diaco and staying at Cocolobo. Has anyone had experience with either that can give me some help deciding. The flights are cheaper and shorter from New York to Grand Cayman. I have some experience but I am looking to step up my game and really learn the correct settings and strobe placement. I shoot with an Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II and I have one Sea & Sea Strobe and a 9-11 mm lens as well as my 14-42 kit lens and a macro wet lens adapter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do not have any experience with Francesca Diaco and Cocolobo so hopefully someone else here on Scubaboard can give you some information.

I have visited Sunset House and Cathy Church's gallery and photography studio so I can tell you that the resort looks very nice and there is a dive op and shore dive onsite that would be helpful for a photography course.

Cathy Church has a very large photo center at Sunset House. We have gone there to buy photo supplies and one time my husband had problems with his camera and they were great and helped him out - but we have never taken a course.

You don't mention budget, or the time of year you plan to travel, or if you will be traveling solo or with a companion? But if yo are traveling alone you may be interested to know that Sunset House is currently offering a special for single divers, the information below was recently posted in another thread. Good luck finding a great trip and photo course!

"According to Blue Water Travels, Sunset House is charging $1814 per week for their solo traveler, courtyard room, dive special through Dec 15, 2017.

Which is a break because it is only $170 more than the price per person for double occupancy ($1642). They usually charge $2287 for single occupancy in a courtyard room with the dive package.

Tackling Being a Diver as a Single Traveler
$1,813.90 (Single Occupancy only)
Minimum seven night stay & six days of diving
Courtyard rooms only
Subject to availability
Valid for travel until December 15, 2017
Booking Period: Now - December 15, 2017"

This is from the Sunset House website, I think that breakfast is also included:

Have a solo trip planned? Sunset House has the answer with big savings

Sunset House has the answers with a Singles Divers Special from now until December 15th, 2017. Save with a minimum seven night / six days of diving. Based on availability. For more information on this special and others, feel free to call us at 1-800-854-4767. (Available in Courtyard Rooms Only...Single Occupancy Only)

Courtyard Room Standard Rate - Sunset House - George Town - Cayman Islands

One of the most popular rooms for “cost conscious.” These rooms have a walk-in patio door and are available with 2 Queen or 1 King bed, digital cable TV, air conditioning, and private bathrooms. Most courtyard rooms can access the wireless network. There are courtyard rooms above the front office area and on either side of the parking lot headed to My Bar. There are also eight courtyard rooms in the garden area close to the 400 block of rooms.

Amenities

• Hair dryer
    • Safety Deposit Box (Front Desk)
    • High Speed Internet -on Balconies
    • Easy to Set Alarm Clock Radio
    • LCD Flat Panel TV
    • Air Conditioning
    • Bath Amenities
    • Complimentary Parking

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

The trip was great, although I was a bit disappointed with the instruction. I would have like a bit more one on one attention underwater since I was fairly new to underwater photography with a strobe and shooting raw. However, I did learn a lot from my roommate who was a very good underwater photographer and did pick up useful tips and information from the workshop presentations. The one thing that I think Bluewater could have done better on this trip would have been to find out in advance that the resort did not have any way for us to view slides as a group (no tv or projection screen or projector). We had to gather around the workshop leader's laptop. Not great for being able to review each other's work or the presentation slides. If they had known, they might have been able to bring along a small portable projector. I'm sure not all of their trips are like this but this was a very remote location. I had a great time though and came away with some nice shots (much improved from before I went). I did have some technical issues with my camera, which upon returning home, I had to send back to Olympus for repair. Unfortunate since this was a photo trip :-(
I've a ttached a few pics and Here is a link to the rest of my underwater favorites from the tri if you're interested:
Alor, Underwater | Facebook

Attachments

• Alor-10-19-17-180677.jpg
    Alor-10-19-17-180677.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Alor-10-20-17-191029.jpg
    Alor-10-20-17-191029.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Alor-10-23-17-230430.jpg
    Alor-10-23-17-230430.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Alor-10-22-17-210453-2.jpg
    Alor-10-22-17-210453-2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Alor-10-21-17-210295-2.jpg
    Alor-10-21-17-210295-2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Alor-10-23-17-230446.jpg
    Alor-10-23-17-230446.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 78
Hi Steve,

The trip was great, although I was a bit disappointed with the instruction. I would have like a bit more one on one attention underwater since I was fairly new to underwater photography with a strobe and shooting raw. However, I did learn a lot from my roommate who was a very good underwater photographer and did pick up useful tips and information from the workshop presentations. The one thing that I think Bluewater could have done better on this trip would have been to find out in advance that the resort did not have any way for us to view slides as a group (no tv or projection screen or projector). We had to gather around the workshop leader's laptop. Not great for being able to review each other's work or the presentation slides. If they had known, they might have been able to bring along a small portable projector. I'm sure not all of their trips are like this but this was a very remote location. I had a great time though and came away with some nice shots (much improved from before I went). I did have some technical issues with my camera, which upon returning home, I had to send back to Olympus for repair. Unfortunate since this was a photo trip :-(
I've a ttached a few pics and Here is a link to the rest of my underwater favorites from the tri if you're interested:
Sorry to hear you didn't get as much help as you wanted. I went away with a different trip leader. You did get some nice shots. It is Always Frustrating with a new camera till the settings become second nature. Adobe lightroom has really taken my pictures to the next level.
Hi Steve,

Hi Steve,

Beautiful photos!

Although it certainly isn't as exotic as Alor, we have been impressed by the Cathy Church photo center on Grand Cayman. We have only purchased supplies and gotten help with a camera problem - never took any classes - but it looks like they offer a wide menu of options and training experiences, so you might want to consider it for a future trip; see the link below:

Cathy Church's Photo Centre - Cathy Church's Photo Centre - logo

Beautiful photos!

Although it certainly isn't as exotic as Alor, we have been impressed by the Cathy Church photo center on Grand Cayman. We have only purchased supplies and gotten help with a camera problem - never took any classes - but it looks like they offer a wide menu of options and training experiences, so you might want to consider it for a future trip; see the link below:

Cathy Church's Photo Centre - Cathy Church's Photo Centre - logo
I was originally considering Cathy Church but when I did the math, I got 10 nights at Alor diving plus 6 nights on Bali for less than it would have cost me to go to Grand Cayman and study with Cathy Church for 7 nights. It was kind of a no brainer and a bucket list trip to boot. I will consider Cathy CHurch for another trip however. I think I'd probably get better one on one instruction.

Sorry to hear you didn't get as much help as you wanted. I went away with a different trip leader. You did get some nice shots. It is Always Frustrating with a new camera till the settings become second nature. Adobe lightroom has really taken my pictures to the next level.
I agree about Lightroom though. The issue that I had with my camera is that it kept going into an MF mode where I couldn't use it at all. The only way to make it work would be to unseat the lens and reseat it and then it would work for a while. Not exactly something that could be done underwater. So I found myself getting partway through a dive and having it stop working. Olympus fixed it (so far so good). Hope it stays working :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom