Backscatter vs Nauticam Vacuum system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Nauticam Housing for my Sony A6000. I ordered the Nauticam Vacuum Valve for it, and IMHO, it was well worth the additional price. Installation took less than 5 minutes and it gives you piece of mind. I don't see any value added with the additional cost associated with the Backscatter valve.

One quick note ... no matter which system you go with (get the Nauticam), you will see a bright green LED indicating that the system is working and that the vacuum is holding. I was concerned about this bright light being distracting while using the camera. It isn't. In practice, you really only notice it when you look specifically at it to check it.

I thought the same. It’s not an issue. On the plus side, I can easily tell if my camera is on the dinghy for the night dives. :) it glows green!

I have the Nauticam system on my Nikon D800 Nauticam housing. I have used it for three years and more than 200 dives. The system gives you a green light when you get a vacuum. You get a flashing yellow with a lessening of the seal and a flashing red for, I guess, bad news. Once I have gotten the green light, I have never had a loss of the seal. The camera often is sealed for 4 hours at a stretch. Before I had the system, I would have the fear of not having a proper seal. The system will not give you a green light unless you have a good seal. For me, the assurance of having a good seal is worth the price.

I have the Nauticam system on my NA-D500 and it's been great. Just remember you have to reset with the blue button when you change lenses or ports.

I have the Backscatter vacuum system for both my Nauticam D800 and D850 housings. Never an issue, and they both have been 275' deep with no problems. I can't speak for the Nauticam vacuum system, never used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom