Olympus TG-5 Underwater Camera and Housing Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

« What was the point of using this camera with a housing under the BHB? Isn't it waterproof to 50 ft? »

Hi

Sorry for my poor English :(…I am from Belgium… and by the way what means : « …under the BHB? » … BHB ???
From the French forum « Passion-snorkeling » we have a very bad experience of the « waterproof to 50 ft »:eek:

The problem is : 'Lock' that suddenly opens: :rant:…for : 1 x TG2, 1 TG3 and at least 4 or 5 TG4 and recently 1 TG5.

I can give the links with reports if you understand French.

For the TG2 the guy rinsed it with freshwater and he was very lucky… It works again

For the TG4, I know 3 or 4 were replaced on warranty by the after sale service.

Several snorkelers after this bad experience decided to buy a waterproof housing

My son bought recently a TG5 . I will see if it’s possible to secure the doors ?:rolleyes:

« What was the point of using this camera with a housing under the BHB? Isn't it waterproof to 50 ft? »

Hi

Sorry for my poor English :(…I am from Belgium… and by the way what means : « …under the BHB? » … BHB ???

@dcvf2 BHB is short for the Blue Heron Bridge, a dive site in Florida know for its amazing Macro photography.

en francais*: BHB est une forme courte pour le Blue Heron Bridge, un site de plongée en Floride connu pour son incroyable photographie Macro.

*Google Translate version.

Thanks Hoag ;-)

I bought this camera this year based on my dive buddy's recommendation (and his outstanding pics). Question though, is there any setting recommended for lake / green water diving? The underwater setting is clearly for ocean / blue water. I find myself diving fresh water quite a bit lately, and would like to optimize those pics. I don't know of any filter that I can attach to the lens like you can with GoPros.

I bought this camera this year based on my dive buddy's recommendation (and his outstanding pics). Question though, is there any setting recommended for lake / green water diving? The underwater setting is clearly for ocean / blue water. I find myself diving fresh water quite a bit lately, and would like to optimize those pics. I don't know of any filter that I can attach to the lens like you can with GoPros.
In my opinion color correction filters for modern cameras are a waste of money. The filters only reduce the amount of light of certain wavelengths to the sensor. This can be equally well, or even with more precision, done digitally in post production. This is especially true shooting raw stills. Shooting video, there is usually less bits to work with and post processing might cause some banding effects in smooth areas, But in my experience only doing digital color correction, without large exposure adjustments, has not caused problems with underwater video footage.

This camera has manual white balance that works like a charm and gives true to life colors if done right in any kind of colored water... I was taught that photos and videos will always look better if shot right the first time. Fixing washed out colors for lack of filter or manual white balance will never give you a natural colorful look, no matter how pro you are at post processing... Google manual white balance and the custom settings you can save on the TG5

Note that shooting raw still pictures means all the information from the image sensor is stored. The manual or automatic white balance has no effect on this data. TG-5 can shoot raw format and that is what I use. Video is different as most cameras don't have the ability to store raw video data.

With the TG-5 you get RAW.
Most think that is worth having!

Got a G5 with Nauticam housing and twin Ion S2000 strobes, very happy. It did take a little work getting the results I wanted, at first disappointing.

Got rid of the tray and handles, it was set up just like my other Nauticam housing, Part of the beauty if the small size being able to squeeze into tight areas. For mounting the strobes, I'm using a post and triple clamp at the top of housing with two 5 inch arms. Settings wise, ended using -2 on the compensation, A priority stopping down the lens and at times will go into microscope mode if needed. btw the strobes work well on TTL, don't normally use but have found with these close distances, a few inches will make a difference on manual.

Have not tried using any wide angle adapters, just shooting macro.

Don't think it can replace the other rig I have but it is some kind of fun to shoot. No complaints with the quality. One last thought, the camera does not work in full manual so might be problematic getting consistent results on the wide angle side.
al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom