Death in Cocos from shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the articles quoted the DM as saying they were "surfacing" to the "dive stop" (assume he said safety stop or meant safety stop) when the Tiger began swimming at the diver. We were in Cocos on the same boat with mostly the same crew a year ago. Hammers were within petting distance on a number of dives. We saw 4-5 Tigers during the week no closer than 15-20 feet. There is something so different about the way a Tiger moves through the water. You sense they are checking you out much more so than Hammers. Also, Hammers disappeared when the Tigers swam through. We wonder now whether we would still have gone if this happened before. I think yes, but not totally sure. We will still dive with sharks whenever we can, even just returned from Calbo Pulmo with Bull Sharks within 10 feet. However, this reminds us very strongly that nothing is totally safe when it comes to predators in the wild. BTW, we were told by the Sea Hunter crew that if we saw a Tiger on a night dive, we'd be exiting the water immediately. I feel horrible for the diver's family and friends, the Boat's crew and the folks we know who work for Undersea Hunter. They are great people who run a very professional trip.

Rob

I 'get it', but does the relevant governmental regulatory body 'get it' ?
If you're referring to Costa Rica, I guess we will see, the Guanacaste, on the Pacific side is where virtually all the beach resorts run up and down that coast is Costa Rica's 'Cancun' or cash cow, hopefully somebody down there in the government doesn't start worrying too much and gets a bad idea in their head.

Local diver, Bill Watts, on another board posted pictures today. Tiger shark attack at Cocos in same area in 2012. Another diver swam ahead of group to take a picture. Tiger came at him aiming for the face. Made several attempts, diver lost camera, fin, was able to stab in head. Diver survived and was helped back up to boat. One picture shows that air hose almost severed but still functioning. Not sure if this works but link is
Kevin Bryant

That fiancé's reaction sadly shows the lack of understanding that these are not armed safaris or zoo excursions. Your safety is not guaranteed.

Tragically this woman is dead and we cannot do more for her.

What about the dive staffer who got injured trying to save her? I don't see any word about how he's doing.

Richard.

I'm interested to hear what safety precautions or protection he is envisioning. I know he is in grief right now and this may also be a natural reaction to cope.

That fiancé's reaction sadly shows the lack of understanding that these are not armed safaris or zoo excursions. Your safety is not guaranteed.

Tragically this woman is dead and we cannot do more for her.

What about the dive staffer who got injured trying to save her? I don't see any word about how he's doing.

Richard.

We enter their worlds, whether oceans or the Serengeti, as the more vulnerable ones. I will be fair and say pre-cautions can be taken but as you say, it is never guaranteed. Entering their world, armed, and ready to defend as needed, is a whole other topic that I will not go into here. That is part of the risk and it is really difficult to blame an animal for this, or a dive operator. Based on what I have read, it does not seem like there has been any negligence either. He's in grief and I understand that.

This was really unfortunate to hear about and my condolences go to the family and friends of those impacted. I was lucky enough to dive Cocos with the Undersea Hunter group back in 2008. I'm sure they offered the very same level of professionalism and attention to safety with regard to this incident as they did to our group back then.

I think it's safe to assume that as this story seeps more into the main stream, the amount of shark-induced hysteria will only increase as it seems to do following these situations. I've been diving with sharks in a variety of situations, and most of the time I'm more concerned about the giant barracuda hanging around the deco line in North Carolina than any of the sharks below. That said there have been a few situations with sharks that made the hairs on my neck stand up...

The first was in Cocos. My buddy and I found ourselves in the center of a feeding frenzy of whitetip reefs on a night dive in one of the bays. My buddy and I recognized the situation and decided to end our already lengthy dive. I'd be lying if I said there was apprehension on my part getting back onto the boat, as you truly don't know what's underneath you.

The second came while doing confined water dives in a 55,000 gallon shark tank at an aquarium. We'd been utilizing a net to separate divers from the sharks while cleaning the walls. A smaller fish had managed to get on the diver side of the net and began to panic. Soon our 6-foot lemon shark was chomping at the net in an attempt to get at said panicked fish. I don't think I've ever doffed gear and pulled myself out of a body of water so quickly. It could have been bad, but we reacted based on our training.

Finally was in St. Maarten earlier this year. I was doing a "shark" dive which involved large reef sharks circling around and bumping the well-experienced DM who was wearing chainmail. Up until this dive I don't think I ever gave these creatures the true respect they deserve. Maybe I thought I did, but their dominance over the environment and our inadequacy never resonated with me like it did on this dive.

I think what's most important is that in each of these situations I learned something about diving with these animals that aided in filling my growing bag of diving experience. Based on the reports it sounds like there wasn't any "smoking gun" related to behavior by divers or crew that would have caused the incident. I think that's what gives me pause the most, and only underscores the need to respect our place in the ocean when we dive with sharks.

I'm interested to hear what safety precautions or protection he is envisioning. I know he is in grief right now and this may also be a natural reaction to cope.
He's probably thinking about the divers in cages with great whites banging on the bars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom