James S. Acevedo, Apr. 21, 1950-Dec. 6, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thursday would’ve been James Acevedo’s 61st birthday. He’s been gone for over 4 months, and although I have missed him every single day, I haven’t felt the urge to write this till now.

Jim was a great diver and dive buddy. You may not know him, but if you have gone diving at Breakwater in Monterey (and what Northern California diver hasn’t?), you probably saw him there. He loved to dive, diving several times a week, and Breakwater was his favorite spot. He logged thousands of dives and sometimes dove for his job. He always had this beautiful glow after diving.

Jim worked for 35 years in law enforcement. Before he retired, he was a sergeant for the San Francisco Police Department and the Training Coordinator for their Underwater Recovery Unit. On reporting his passing, the paper for the SF Police Officers Association said, “He was much respected by his co-workers and represented all that is good in a San Francisco Police Officer.”

Jim could charm the socks off a shoeless person. He loved to make people feel good, and he was genuine. He even befriended a notoriously cranky shop owner (you Breakwater frequentors KNOW who I mean).

He liked to have the “best” equipment and loved to buy new gear, especially certain brands. Glenn at Aquarius (the dive shop at Breakwater) would tease and say he would take “ordinary” gear and paste one of Jim’s favorite brand’s sticker on it, mark up the price, and Jim would buy it.

Jim would talk to anyone at anytime (much to my dismay because people would inevitably come up just as we were getting to dive, and I would be tired, hot, and impatient). He always answered any question patiently and thoroughly. He made friends really quickly.

I met Jim here at Scubaboard. I sent him a PM about one of his posts. We wrote a while and then met at Breakwater for a dive. I thought our first dive was our last dive. He was a “turbo diver” (y’know, the kind that likes to dive fast) and I was a pokey photographer-wanna-be, but we ended up diving together for 4 years.

Two of his proudest moments were when his teenaged grandson got certified and started diving, and then later when his son started diving, too--three generations of Acevedo men diving and enjoying each others’ company. I was fortunate to be allowed to tag along on most of their dives.

Jim had pancreatic cancer and volunteered for experimental treatment. He fought hard and bravely but died on Dec. 6, 2010. Afterwards I thought I couldn’t dive any more (diving and Jim were so intertwined), but I dove once with the remaining Acevedo divers. I hope to dive regularly again soon. He would want that.

Jim taught me a lot about diving, about equipment, thinking ahead, and being prepared (he had redundant equipment for his redundant equipment). He was the best navigator and always safety-conscious. He looked out for others. He often helped people he didn’t even know.

James Acevedo was my mentor, dive buddy, and dearest friend. I miss him.

Attachments

• DSCN1002c.jpg
    DSCN1002c.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 310
  • P5265664c.JPG
    P5265664c.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 292
A very great tribute that I am certain was well deserved!
Thank you for posting and we all morn together when we loose one of our own.
I have heard some say that dive buddies / mentors live on in us and those we pass the knowledge we learned onto others.
That is the gift we pass on to fellow divers!

CamG

Happy birthday, JB.

I want to thank all the people who read my thread. I was afraid no one would be interested.

I can confirm that Jimmy was liked and respected by all those he worked with,,,,,,me included. He was a great cop!

I have always had an interest in Scuba and recently decided to act on it. While doing some research on the net I came across this great forum. Then I came across this touching post. This post made me register immediately so I could respond. I am proud that my first post (probably first of many....all questions) is regarding Jimmy.

RIP Ace !!!!

thank you for sharing your story. may he rest in peace

Jim's been gone for 7 years today. I still really miss him. I wish I could write this without bumping the thread. I just wanted to write something.

Thanks for reminding us... Too often we forget the truly important people: the ones who indelibly touch our lives.

@nkw5, thank you for sharing this! I've never met you or Jim, but your story is one I could have written. I lost one of my best friends and dive mentor 12 years ago. His name was Ray Jones. Jim sounds a lot like my friend. Ray was extremely outgoing, incredibly generous, and never missed a chance to help someone. After he died, I hung up my fins. It took me 10 years to come back to diving. I couldn't be happier to be back diving now and I certainly know Ray would have wanted that. I learned so much from him and still miss him very much.

Jim's been gone for 7 years today. I still really miss him. I wish I could write this without bumping the thread. I just wanted to write something.
RIP Jim!

Any diver would be fortunate to have a dive buddy like you...Jim was fortunate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom