Political unrest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newgentry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are going to Roatan in February, this will be our first trip there. I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand knowledge of the effect, if any, that the recent political unrest over the presidential election is having on the island. I suspect that Roatan is like Cozumel (where I have been many times) in that it is somewhat insulated from whatever's happening on the mainland, but would appreciate some insight on what's going on. Between vote recounts, curfews, and people burning cars in the street (again, on the mainland only from what I can tell) I'm starting to get a little nervous here. Thanks in advance.

Seconded...Roatan has always been "night and day" in a lot of respects from mainland issues (crime, for example...notwithstanding Honduran crime stats, there hasn't been violent crime against a tourist on Roatan since 2013)...If you only went by what you see around you here, you would have no idea that there was anything out of the ordinary...Friday night they imposed a curfew nationwide for ten days from 6pm to 6am, but by end of day Saturday it was lifted for Roatan for the very reason that there are no issues here...It continues to be safer on the island than most places visitors call home...best of all, the reef knows know politics, which is no doubt a relief for more than just the residents here!

if you're coming in february, whats happening now really isn't the issue, and nobody will know whats going to happen in february until then.
but as the above have noted, it has been a non-issue in the bay islands. the political situation in Honduras has been precarious for the last 10 years but none of it has ever effected the islands.

I was quite pleased that this waited 7 days to pop up on ScubaBoard. Seven days AFTER all the headless chickens exploded on Twit Advisor.

TA had a flurry of Chicken Little posts that quoted the politically tinged dire alarmist warnings.

We here on SB had no idea that the sky was falling. Thought it was coconuts.

The Bay Islands are separated from the mainland by 35 miles of ocean, and here's the big part.... By there being a living wage being paid on Roatan. Everybody has groceries. Too busy to fuss.

All is good, as Laurenceh infers, check back in February.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, its what I figured, hope it stays that way of course. Hope all have a great Christmas season!

I was on Roatan during the election and the one night of curfew. It was no big deal the island seemed business as usual.

We were there during the election also and no problem. There is constantly "political unrest" in Honduras.
We were there also the week Mel was removed from the presidency in the coup/non-coup and had no unpleasant experiences on the island. Of course, I can't guarantee you that nothing will take place to interrupt the peaceful enjoyment of your vacation in Roatan, but I can tell you without hesitation what our past experience has been during these and past similar times-----RELAX, GO AND ENJOY!

Cayman Airways is allowing travelers to change their travel plans and fares to Honduras without paying a penalty during the curfew currently imposed due to political unrest, see below; but keep in mind that Roatan and Utilla are not currently under curfew restrictions.

Honduras travelers on CAL can change fare at no cost | Cayman Compass

This has no impact on the Bay Islands.

None.

Except that travelers are cancelling, businesses are hurting.

All over Internet squawking.

Howl when there's something to howl about, otherwise, go diving...where you can't speak or use the Internet.

Back
Top Bottom