Shearwater Transmitter with 6 inch hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just finished my side mount course in last AUG and looking for new REG set.
I would like to use Shearwater Transmitter with 6 inch Miflex carbon HD HP short hose instead of Analog SPG

To connect transmitter and short HP hose, Should I use o-ring on the thread like photo
or No need to use O-ring like SPG photo..??

Yes I know that I need swivel pin. But I do not know I need o-ring or NO o-ring
Please anyone help me.. I go to diving only open water, warm water, Not cave, Not wreck

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 194
  • gau.jpg
    gau.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 173
  • trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 174
why bother with the hose?

If you use one, no o-ring required, but does require a spool. The o-ring is for putting it directly on the first stage, which I would highly recommend considering the failure rates of those hoses...

Until last week, I put transmitter with o-ring on thread directly on first stage but I concerned boat boy grip my TM when they carry tank

Until last week, I put transmitter with o-ring on thread directly on first stage but I concerned boat boy grip my TM when they carry tank

if in sidemount, the transmitter should be facing down so it shouldn't be grabbable by a tank monkey

if in sidemount, the transmitter should be facing down so it shouldn't be grabbable by a tank monkey

Thats exactly how I have mine setup. Never had an issue with anyone grabbing my tanks or transmitters. If I am on a boat, I am not normally in sidemount to begin with and if I was, when the tank monkey would be grabbing and handling my tanks there would be no reg set on it.

I recommend using the hoses as putting the transmitter directly on the first stage can create a catch hazard for your bungees. It will put a lot of pressure on the transmitter (Not that it will snap it off) but the bungee will work its way under the transmitter and get caught. Not that this is a life threatening situation as in a rescue situation I would just cut the bungees, but can become quite the annoyance.

Run it with a HP Spool. You "can" run it with just the oring but you will see when you screw it on, you can still see some of that oring sticking out. Made me nervous.

Now my question is why do you not want to go with standard SPG's. I understand you are doing REC diving with this, but I am curious.

I loved using the transmitters, as it was so easy to watch both pressures on my Perdix, but when I was in the middle of a Tec trip, I missed out on an unknown wreck off Catalina at 160 ft, because my transmitters were not pairing on the decent. I kept Pony gauges on the first stage routing upward, but for a tec dive decided the smart thing would be to call the dive. My team still went and am so bummed I wasn't able to dive. I have always run SPG's but decided to give it a try and will not do it again.

Back
Top Bottom