Aqua Lung Voluntary Recall on ACD Yoke regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aqua Lung is conducting a voluntary safety check of ACD Yoke regulators. Find out more here:
Safety Notices - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

AQC_hOmHIwH4DO0Q&w=160&h=160&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aqualung.com%2Fus%2Fimages%2Fdefault_thumbnail.png

Safety Notices - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear
Aqua Lung is the name that introduced the world to scuba diving in 1943, when…
AQUALUNG.COM

This has been a known issue as there was a Product Safety recall announced in Australia in July of this year. I wonder why Aqualung delayed to inform US customers for over 2 months.

Aqua Lung Australia — Aqua Lung Core ACD Yoke (all models), Aqua Lung Legend ACD Yoke (all models), Aqua Lung Titan LX ACD Yoke (all models)

Upon receiving the announcement, the tech at my LDS went and checked the Legends that were new in box and found one where the ACD assembly was so loose he could turn it with his fingers.

I wonder if this was the problem reported in this thread...

1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

Last edited:
This has been a known issue as there was a Product Safety recall announced in Australia in July of this year. I wonder why Aqualung delayed to inform US customers for over 2 months.

Aqua Lung Australia — Aqua Lung Core ACD Yoke (all models), Aqua Lung Legend ACD Yoke (all models), Aqua Lung Titan LX ACD Yoke (all models)

Upon receiving the announcement, the tech at my LDS went and checked the Legends that were new in box and found one where the ACD assembly was so loose he could turn it with his fingers.

I wonder if this was the problem reported in this thread...

1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

I dunno. I experienced the failure this recall talks about, but thankfully above water.
This was 2 years ago, with one of the E serial numbered legend regs.

New legend, perfectly fine for about 5 or 10 times.
Last tank it survived, was put on a tank at 3100psi (IE well within limits), dives fine.
Go to set up for another dive. Put regulator on tank, it couldn't hold pressure. It was like a pressure relief valve was being tripped continuously. Happened repeatedly no matter what tank pressure.

Get home, send it off to service tech, who tests it on tank, see same thing happen. He disassembled it and calls me and says "there is nothing obviously wrong with this reg, at all". He was completely flummoxed. He reassembled it, worked fine ever since.

Since the recall requires torquing everything to spec, i bet there really wasn't anything wrong with it other than not being torqued to spec.

At the same time, quality control not catching torque spec failure for literally years seems ... bad.

I had this failure at 60 feet half way through a dive and opened a thread on it a few years back. It was an interesting discussion. I just saw the consumer safety notice today. I did mail Aqualung with the details of my failure and I am glad they at least posted the notice.

I now am religious about having a competent buddy and staying a "few kick" close. My buddy saved my butt on this one.

I live quite a distance from an authorized service tech. I bought an Aqua Lung Legend 2-3 years ago. I just saw the recall on some of these 1st stages. I'm not sure if mine is part of that or not. It starts with a D, not E-F-G or H. Please refer to the attached pic and help me relieve my anxiety. Thanks
20180217_065915.jpg

I live quite a distance from an authorized service tech. I bought an Aqua Lung Legend 2-3 years ago. I just saw the recall on some of these 1st stages. I'm not sure if mine is part of that or not. It starts with a D, not E-F-G or H. Please refer to the attached pic and help me relieve my anxiety. ThanksView attachment 446659
I would call scubatoys in Dallas and ask them. They have always been helpful when I had questions.

I live quite a distance from an authorized service tech. I bought an Aqua Lung Legend 2-3 years ago. I just saw the recall on some of these 1st stages. I'm not sure if mine is part of that or not. It starts with a D, not E-F-G or H. Please refer to the attached pic and help me relieve my anxiety. ThanksView attachment 446659

D is not the same letter as E,F,G, or H

D is not the same letter as E,F,G, or H

Here is the quote from Aqua Lung, the last part is what I wonder about: "(all yoke models with serial numbers starting with the letter E, F, G or H (prior to H043301) and which have never been serviced by an authorized Aqua Lung retailer or technician)". I assume that after H043301 and models before E are OK.

That guidance includes the belief/assumption that if it has been served since purchase, (overhauled, not just inspected) that it was done correctly, and the valve was torqued to spec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom