Aqualung Legend LX First Stage Failure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meanwhile my wife enjoyed her Legend yet again while here in Cozumel. ACD is a great confidence builder that the regulator stays clean despite less than you guys imaginary steril conditions. ACD is great and so is the AL Legend.

N

Was a rental tank used? If so what country?

I've used Legends with ACD for over a decade. They are my doubles regs. I've not had a single issue. I am meticulous about maintenance and have been using the same regulator tech for over 8 years. He isn't local so I have to ship him my regs, but it is worth it to me. He is exceptional and I wouldn't trust my regs with anyone else.

I realize this thread is forever old, but to close this out. Aqualung has issued a consumer safety notice - I assume based on the information I sent them - this was the stated cause of my first stage failure at depth (both service center and Aqualung). Just saw this today and wanted to close the discussion with a "final" resolution and post their recommendation. Safe diving.

Attachments

• Consumer_Safety_Notice_ACD_AQA.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Aqualung has issued a consumer safety notice - I assume based on the information I sent them - this was the stated cause of my first stage failure at depth (both service center and Aqualung).

Hi Databob,

From the recall notice, apparently AL believes something(s) not torqued correctly in the ACD can cause the failure you've reported. I don't have any AL manuals that show details about the ACD (nor do I have any regulators with an ACD-I'm just curious.) Do you, or anyone reading this thread, have a parts diagram or service manual that shows the components involved?

TIA,

Couv

Edit: Found the link to the ACD manual in AWAP's post. I sure do miss that guy.

Last edited:
Another in my book about the good old Conshelf's. Has anyone ever heard of a conshelf cutting air off? I never have, and I have been working on and rebuilding them since 1969. Conshelf's will creap and freeflow when parts wear out. KISS.

Another in my book about the good old Conshelf's. Has anyone ever heard of a conshelf cutting air off? I never have, and I have been working on and rebuilding them since 1969. Conshelf's will creap and freeflow when parts wear out. KISS.

I have read about it.
Regulator Rubbish: Dive Gear Makers Should Get Back to Basics | Halstead

Here is a quote from the linked article in case someone doesn't want to read it all.

"I did not care for regulators that were not “fail safe”, that is, no matter how they failed you should still be able to breathe. In my dive shop, the Diver’s Den in Port Moresby, I did not sell “diaphragm” first stages as they all in theory (and some in practice) could fail catastrophically. Over the years the pin design has been changed and I have not heard of any diaphragm first stage failing due to a failed pin in many years (let me know if you have)."

It seems the author claims newer regulators are safer than previous diaphragm models. I wonder how he feels about ACD equipped first stages?:)

Last edited:
If a diaphragm in a Conshelf fails it DOES free flow. Put the Conshelf on a tank and open the valve and take a couple breathes off it, if it doesn't free flow or crepe it's for the most part operating. Reason being when it is shut off and air drained it is wide open until you put air pressure on it.

Back
Top Bottom