Wing Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xdeep Zen (for single tank, Project for doubles) is quite nice bp/w. It is available in Al or SS and with optional weight pockets.

agree, xdeep make really great stuff, also tecline has very nice wings. Once you have a comfy bp and harness setup you can easily just buy separate wings. (one for single/double etc)

Thanks Guys for your responses. Might stay faithful to AP diving. Any thoughts of their techwing?

AP TEKWING | AP Diving

Cheers.
Alan
Wow.. Well.. I'm sure there is someone who might like it but.. All that material.. And rings.. And straps.. And... I thought you were looking for good quality, light weight, good build and not unnecessary bulky/heavy..

Thanks Guys for your responses. Might stay faithful to AP diving. Any thoughts of their techwing?

AP TEKWING | AP Diving

Cheers.
Alan

AP Diving make some great equipment. It's not a well known brand in the USA but they are an established commercial diving supplier in Europe. Their 'Buddy" BCD has had a sterling reputation for decades and is still widely used in diving clubs across the UK. They are the only jacket BCD manufacturer I know who have replaceable bladders, which makes their equipment serviceable and last decades.

Having said that, I cannot think I will ever need 27.5kg of lift. Maybe half that at most. So NO on their TEKWING for me.

AP TEKWING | AP Diving

Cheers.
Alan

You are overthinking it. You want a wing because there is less crap and it's easier to travel with. No back pads, cummerbunds, or integrated pockets. Learn to use boltsnaps to secure your gear.

Get a Dive Gear Express, Deep Sea Supply, Deep 6 Gear, HOG, or Dive Rite Transplate. Think in the 20 lb lift region.

Get some XS Scuba weight pouches for your tank band. Recommend getting a SS backplate. It places the weight in the perfect spot for trim. You can subtract other junk from your luggage. If you are really buoyant then use a weight belt after filling those pockets. You probably won't need that though.

Deep Sea Supply makes great gear. I am also intrigued by Dive Rite wings. The XT series are the most robust / bullet proof wing out there so I am considering getting one for wreck penetration.

external bladder yes, internal bladder no. It takes a lot to slice a wing cover though and the ballistic nylon used by most wing manufacturers is shockingly durable, even in a wreck penetration setting.
The XT wings are really slick and if I was buying one specific for wreck penetration, it would probably be one of those, but it wouldn't be enough for me to sell an existing wing to buy one of those until said wing was shredded *hint, probably not going to happen... it's not a common failure

Another UK diver here.

I dive a Scubapro Xtek SS backplate & harness with an IST wing (40lb). That is my set for home and abroad. I can easily manage to get my luggage within the 23kg limit. I have flown to Egypt twice for a week long liveaboard and managed to get under the airlines 20kg limit both times (hand luggage was under the limit as well). I only chose the 40lb as I am pretty big (4xl suit for height) so I will lose more buoyancy from a 7mm wetsuit at depth and I decided to go on the (very) safe side - a 30lb would probably have been enough.

If you want to do more overseas diving and are really worried about weight limits, think about an AL backplate and lighter wing (18 or 30lb).

Personally I would prefer to have a BP&W instead of something like the Tekwing. If anything fails on mine, I can swap it out at (reasonably) minimal cost. There is a pretty decent market for wings etc on Ebay (Redhat have quite a good reputation).

You are overthinking it. You want a wing because there is less crap and it's easier to travel with. No back pads, cummerbunds, or integrated pockets. Learn to use boltsnaps to secure your gear.

Get a Dive Gear Express, Deep Sea Supply, Deep 6 Gear, HOG, or Dive Rite Transplate. Think in the 20 lb lift region.

Get some XS Scuba weight pouches for your tank band. Recommend getting a SS backplate. It places the weight in the perfect spot for trim. You can subtract other junk from your luggage. If you are really buoyant then use a weight belt after filling those pockets. You probably won't need that though.

The problem with your recommendations is that you appear to take no account that the OP has said he is UK based. That makes your recommendations comparatively expensive after shipping charges (think around US$50 minimum), customs duty, VAT (20% on all of cost, shipping & duty) plus customs agency fees for the courier ...

Then if you ever need service or support, its available ... but in the USA ... not the UK.

So I wouldn't consider buying from USA ... unless it something that needs zero support, like a backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom