Scubapro Oneflex or Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there! Thank you so much.

Does Aquflex fit true to size for you? I am 5.4 and 121 lb. Based on the size chart 6 would work. Would it same story for an Aquaflex hooded vest?

Layering sounds a good economical option. If I get a hooded vest on the link below wear my 3mm suit (old), would it be warm enough for south Komodo (72F consecutive dives)? My local store recommended it. Or should I get 7mm or 5 mm + hooded vest? Some folks said 5mm fullsuit + 5mm hooded vest were not warm enough in south Komodo. Closeout Aqualung Aquaflex Hooded Vest - 6/5/3mm - Size 4
I will appreciate your insights and experiences.

Hi, @Disco King.

I'm 5'4" and hover between 129-135 pounds. I used the size charts as a place to start trying on sizes but I would not abide by them. Go with what fits and feels the best. I am a size 4 in the 3mm and size 6 in the 5mm, 7mm, and 8/7 semi-dry. I can't remember off the top of my head what the hooded vest is but I can check when I get home. I'm going to guess it's a size 6. Perfect scenario would probably have me in a size 5 if they made one. :)

I run cold so I can't say for sure but even in north and central Komodo in September 2016, I was in a 5mm and comfortable....Lowest temp we got to was 78F. The other folks who were in 3mm were cold, especially because we've had back to back diving over multiple days. I would venture to say if it were 72F, I would want 5mm plus my hooded vest....or whimpy me, heck, just give me the 7mm with no hood, no vest...more comfortable! Part of this is also whether you are going to be using a 7mm outside of southern Komodo and are okay with schlepping the extra weight. For the other sites in central and northern, you will find the 7mm overkill....So maybe the 5mm is the perfect balance here. It will also allow you to layer and maybe use elsewhere another time. My 5mm is my workhorse - I only wear my 3mm when it's really, really warm.....consistently 88-90F (rare!) or when I'm in a pool assisting with a class. I do carry my hooded vest everywhere I go when I travel as a just-in-case.

Let me know if you have any other Q's!

Hi, @Disco King.

I'm 5'4" and hover between 129-135 pounds. I used the size charts as a place to start trying on sizes but I would not abide by them. Go with what fits and feels the best. I am a size 4 in the 3mm and size 6 in the 5mm, 7mm, and 8/7 semi-dry. I can't remember off the top of my head what the hooded vest is but I can check when I get home. I'm going to guess it's a size 6. Perfect scenario would probably have me in a size 5 if they made one. :)

I run cold so I can't say for sure but even in north and central Komodo in September 2016, I was in a 5mm and comfortable....Lowest temp we got to was 78F. The other folks who were in 3mm were cold, especially because we've had back to back diving over multiple days. I would venture to say if it were 72F, I would want 5mm plus my hooded vest....or whimpy me, heck, just give me the 7mm with no hood, no vest...more comfortable! Part of this is also whether you are going to be using a 7mm outside of southern Komodo and are okay with schlepping the extra weight. For the other sites in central and northern, you will find the 7mm overkill....So maybe the 5mm is the perfect balance here. It will also allow you to layer and maybe use elsewhere another time. My 5mm is my workhorse - I only wear my 3mm when it's really, really warm.....consistently 88-90F (rare!) or when I'm in a pool assisting with a class. I do carry my hooded vest everywhere I go when I travel as a just-in-case.

Let me know if you have any other Q's!
Thank you so much for all your advice and thought! Something to think about between 5mm and 7mm for future use!

Yes, it will helpful to know your sizing for hooded vest if it is Aquaflex as well. I found a great deal, only size 4 or 8 is available. If my measurement is smaller (34-27-37) than you, maybe size 4 would work??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom