Planning our next SCUBA adventure for my daughter and I.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jinaz

Registered
Reaction score
So my teenage AOW certified daughter and I have been going on dive trips every year for the past few years. My wife no longer dives, but I now have a travel buddy! We are planning our next dive trip and I would be interested in suggestions.

Here is the general criteria if I could plan the "perfect" trip:
-It should be a bucket list worthy dive location/site.
-We have only a week this summer to do the trip due to my daughters school. (FYI, we did Palau in 6 days from Arizona. We are not against long flights and only being able to dive a few days if that is required. However, we could not do, for instance, a 1 week liveaboard or (just an example) the Maldives which seem impossible to do in 1 week due to travel time.)
-There should be something to do on land when not diving (ie restaurants, sightseeing). When not diving we like to do something besides sit on a beach.
-We prefer warm water diving but we are amenable to suggestions for cold water diving locations if they are fantastic.
-We need dives locations that allow people under 18 years old to dive. For instance I was just looking at diving in Iceland. The most famous dive is Silfra fissure. However, it is a park requirement (per 2 dive shops) that you must be 18 years old to dive there.
-We like to try new destinations every year.
-We would prefer to stay at nice hotels (not the nicest but adequate as it is a vacation).
-We likes places with an abundance of marine life, especially big things likes rays or sharks.

We have been to Belize, throughout Mexico, the Florida Keys, Palau, Isla Guadalupe, a few of the islands of Hawaii. Cozumel, Palau and Belize (Ambergris Caye) were our favorites.

Possible places I have recently considered: Roatan, Fiji and Bora Bora.

I realize I am asking a question that is very subjective but I would be interested in any suggestions. Thanks.

Anthony's Key Resort, Roatan
half the price of going to Fiji but still lots to see and do, beautiful reefs.

Bonaire, Buddy Dive
shore and boat diving...no meals included except breakfast, but lots of restaurants and get a room with kitchen so you can make sandwiches etc for lunch daily.

Agree with @robint - Those are both great choices. Coco View Resort in Roatan is also worth considering along with Anthony's.
As a 3rd option, you might consider Grand Cayman. I think you would want more time in order to do Fiji properly.

The Poor Knights islands off the East coast of New Zealand offers world class diving. There are several dive operators with comfortable boats out of Tutukaka (Dive Tutukaka, Yukon Dive). Live aboards or day trips. Dive Tutukaka also provides acomodations or will pick you up at your hotel. Buses are available from Auckland if you don't want to drive on the left side of the road :)

There are many things to see and do in Northland beyond diving (glow worm caves, Kiwi house, sport fishing, treks, etc.).

The language is English and the people are friendly.

The Poor Knights islands off the East coast of New Zealand offers world class diving. There are several dive operators with comfortable boats out of Tutukaka (Dive Tutukaka, Yukon Dive). Live aboards or day trips. Dive Tutukaka also provides acomodations or will pick you up at your hotel. Buses are available from Auckland if you don't want to drive on the left side of the road :)

There are many things to see and do in Northland beyond diving (glow worm caves, Kiwi house, sport fishing, treks, etc.).

The language is English and the people are friendly.
How is water temp at Poor nights island? Is it wetsuit, drysuit or bathing suit?
Gloworm cave black water rafting was wetsuit, but it is an underground river.

If you're traveling in your summer (June-August) then it's the middle of our winter and the water temperature is likely to be around 60 deg F. A 7mm two piece wetsuit would be the minimum suggested thermal protection. The boats do offer hot drinks between dives. Drysuits can be rented if you have the certification and don't want to travel with your own equipment.

I dive all year round but use a drysuit.

How is water temp at Poor nights island? Is it wetsuit, drysuit or bathing suit?

I just did a day-trip to Poor Knights Island on December 9; temperature from the dive computer 67F. The operator supplied 7mm wetsuits plus a hooded vest. I was OK on the first dive; chilled on the second. (but then I live in Florida and am a wuss about cold water)

We have to visit in Dec then, because I can’t haul dry suit gear, and We can rent wetsuit gear. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom