First OW class, lots of gear questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After this experience I would do anything to dive with that group! Actually I emailed the instructor about Advanced OW and will be doing that in November/December with at least two of those girls :)

Where does one find a compass like the one in the video? Mine is really tall, and if I search for Scuba Compass they all seem really big. I'd love a flatter one like that. I guess it could be more sensitive to being level, but I might be OK with that.

Having my compass and computer both on my right arm was better. I tried opposite sides of the same arm but that didn't work so well for me with the gear I have. I'm curious if I'd like an SPG/Compass console, but it would have to be pretty small or I'd get annoyed by something big dangling at my hip.

the compass on that nav slate is a standard cheap compass from rei/wherever. That particular one is a Suunto A-10 and is less than $20 from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Suunto-SS012...F8&qid=1508771711&sr=8-4&keywords=suunto+a-10

The advantage of the nav-slate is you can put all of your dive information on there, draw a map, etc. and have all of that information at hand.

Now the other way is to have a scooter with a compass on the body, but that's a bit more expensive :p

DGX Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord

This is how I carry mine. The knot slides, so the wrist loop can be easily adjusted for no glove to dry glove or anywhere in between.

2017-05-15 11.38.41.jpg 2017-05-15 11.38.49.jpg 2017-05-15 11.39.17.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-05-15 11.38.41.jpg
    2017-05-15 11.38.41.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 117
Snorkel and long hose primary don't go together. You've discovered why. Get rid of the darned snorkel after class.

That. Snorkels are not dive gear.

Don't buy anything until you've had a chance to rent or borrow a wide variety of gear and figured out what you like. You may find you like having skin diving gear on your SCUBA rig. :D

What do you guys like for harness webbing? My current webbing is from Piranha. Comfort wise I like that it seems kind of soft, but at the same time the ends are getting chewed up (despite repeatedly melting - as I typed that I realized maybe I need to use some epoxy?). The DSS webbing is too rigid for my preference and I don't want blue H's all over my rig.

I had some credit at the local shop that I wanted to use, so I figured I'd experiment with an aluminum plate since I'm moving to a warmer climate and will be transporting my gear on a moped.

What do you guys like for harness webbing? My current webbing is from Piranha. Comfort wise I like that it seems kind of soft, but at the same time the ends are getting chewed up (despite repeatedly melting - as I typed that I realized maybe I need to use some epoxy?). The DSS webbing is too rigid for my preference and I don't want blue H's all over my rig.

I had some credit at the local shop that I wanted to use, so I figured I'd experiment with an aluminum plate since I'm moving to a warmer climate and will be transporting my gear on a moped.
Try the webbing from Trident. I’ve always had great luck with their product for all my webbing needs.
It’s nice and thick, not overly resined and stiff, and certainly not too limp.
I don’t know where they source it, but it is the best I’ve been able to find so far.
Try your LDS. Most LDS’s on the west coast will stock a lot of Trident general diving supply items. Trident is based out of Socal.
I used to be a dealer.

Oh my - I only read a few pages of comments. My suggestion is - rent gear before you purchase anything. Or before you purchase any gear, sign up for a fundies or rec1 class from GUE. They will sort you out on equipment and wlll work on your buoyancy skills and trim. Perhaps I am a bit grumpy due to lack of coffee or tea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom