What was your favourite liveaboard ever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<<amazing group we were>> I think how well the boat gets along colors memories of enjoying the trip.

<<local California dive boat culture>> That description sounds like the culture is shaping the boat experience but I think it is the other way around. I'd say we ended up with those more utilitarian boats because there isn't a strong draw for that travel beyond pretty dedicated divers since you are going to, as I describe it, swim around in your ice chest. If we had warm water diving, the boats would cater to a wider audience and move toward more comfort.

I am surprised to hear you don't have a dedicated spot on the TA dive deck, if I am interpreting your description correctly.

I was on a lob in Asia with people who said they were owners of another Channel Island trip boat. Having already done a couple liveaboards and mistakenly thought most people were very safety conscious, I figured they would be experienced divers and experienced at how you have to run a dive charter. I was surprised when they immediately went opposite to any dive plan, went far off (out of sight) independent from each other with no solo gear, and ran their tanks down to near zero on every dive. I have always found it strange how cavalier people are about their need for air. Apparently they get complacent since nothing bad has happened.

Also curious was throwing their customers under the bus, a lot, more than necessary for comedic effect. I can imagine you can get cynical about people but maybe its time to get out of the deal with people business. Perhaps they went to the same lob school as another company we know that doesn't realize their audience could be future customers.

It's really interesting how one diver's favorite is another diver's least favorite. I have been on 4 liveaboards including Truth and I rate that as my least favorite...and I was only on there for 3 days/2 nights. The only reason I would return is purely for the diving...everything else except for the captain was forgettable and not good overall. It was camping at sea, but worse than camping, because I sleep and eat better when I'm camping. The shared bathroom and shower situation between that many people and the uncomfortable beds, mediocre food just didn't do it for me. However, it's good value and again, good diving for California.

Spirit of Freedom (Australia)
Raja Ampat Aggressor (Raja Ampat)
Truth Aquatics (Channel Islands)
Mastro Aldo (Komodo)

My overall favorite was the Raja Ampat Aggressor for crew, great food, facilities, diving, and the amazing group we were. Spirit had an excellent crew and facilities, good food, but diving does not compare to Indonesia. Mastro Aldo had great DMs, good food, and amazing diving but facilities were more basic.

OK @outofofficebrb - I thought the best thing about your Truth Aquatics trip was meeting me? Even though you didn't know it at the time- I am clearly too forgettable- LOL :wink:
You are correct to state that the real attraction is the diving itself. That being said, TA, for all of their lack of creature comforts and camping at sea vibe is the best option for multi-day trips in the gorgeous Channel Islands. Honestly, in my opinion, the only option. I think a luxury liveaboard would be awesome for our islands, but there is just not enough demand for that to ever happen. There is a certain charm to Truth Aquatics though. It is like walking into a true little neighborhood beer bar, versus the bar at the Ritz Carlton hotel. Also, you get what you pay for. I have done 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 day trips with Truth Aquatics throughout the Channel Islands over the years and it is 1/2 the cost of the average Aggressor trip. You stated well, that is good value for what you pay. I will also say that the 3 boats are very distinctive and different. Different size, different crew, different destinations.

Just got back from 9 days on Bonaire last Sunday, will be doing a 3 tanker tomorrow on Anacapa Island and then 10 days in Cozumel starting this next Thursday. Life is sucking for me right now!

Last edited:
I am surprised to hear you don't have a dedicated spot on the TA dive deck, if I am interpreting your description correctly.

Let's try to link from my old trip reports to show a comparison between Truth Aquatic's Vision & 2 Caribbean live-aboards I've been on, just looking at where your gear is & you set up.

thumb_img_2669_1024_zpsplcn8qup-jpg.402127.jpg

Okay, you get a 'station' at floor level, for your tank & BCD. That's where they air up your tank. When you're getting set to dive, you take off the bungie cord loop, pick up the whole thing & carry it over to a bench (where you don't have a dedicated space), and put it down, then squat down and put it on.

Compare that to the Belize Aggressor IV
thumb_IMG_8958_1024_zpszk633fsh.jpg

or Cayman Aggressor IV (seat is a lid you open to get storage space beneath):
1%205_zpsstbw11da.jpg

And yeah, that's real nice, and I loved all 3 live-aboard experiences, but remember to compare the prices, too.

Richard.

Any Cocos Island Costa Rica liveaboard that is 7 days or less? Thank you in advance for your replies...

My new favorite is the Seahorse in Raja Ampat . It's a bit homely on First blush but beautifully run, diving amazing and food very good to Western taste. I was also a bit spoiled to have a double bed cabin all to myself.

My new favorite is the Seahorse in Raja Ampat . It's a bit homely on First blush but beautifully run, diving amazing and food very good to Western taste. I was also a bit spoiled to have a double bed cabin all to myself.
Never heard of it. Looks nice!

The Aquacat - my first - was a great experience. Amazing food as mentioned by others and a very attentive and engaged crew. But really enjoyed the Cat Ppalu for the sailing. Since then have done the CEX II, T&C EXII and the Red Sea Aggressor. Great diving in the Red Sea and definitely going back to the region. But just as happy to dive the Caribbean which is why I'm headed back to the CEX II....

Back
Top Bottom