Inflator QD o-ring replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Granted, my equipment maintenance experience involves rebuilding two Conshelf firsts and three seconds. That said, replacing the o-ring inside the QD for an inflator has been the must frustrating excercise, by far. I guess because it is relatively deep? It was also a hardened oring so I had to use the pick to break a small chunk out before the rest would come out. If I have to do that again it will be too soon.

There's a kit that makes it super easy! (Well, except removing a hardened o-ring)
OMG, I couldn't believe it. 2 minutes (not including corrosion removal).

Scuba Instruments
Universal Inflator Hose Tool Kit

Theirs was a little pricey. You might check Scubatools.com or Vintagedoublehose.com

The only thing I'd add to the kit for tough cases is a double-hook pick. But be careful with that one so as not to scratch the o-ring land.

Getting the new o ring back in is a serious PITA.

Scuba tools came out with a little plastic thingy a couple years ago that makes it WAY easier.

Did that two years ago. Don't know if the tool existed, but I picked up one of the many kits with three very similar brass picks online. Tried one then another, finally got a grip and pulled the old one out. Brass=no scratching possible on stainless or chrome, so I'll find more uses for them.

Didn't scrimp in the new o-ring, either. Petty little PITA job that I'll be happy not to do again.

Difficult to get out, harder to get back in. You can improve the life-span by swabbing the O-ring with a tiny bit of silicone grease once in awhile. I use medical/makeup micro-swabs that have a tough bit of fluff on the end smaller than a BB. No fibers come off and they last forever if washed. Great little things. These seem to be the thing. I got mine years ago from another diver so don't know exactly where they came from.
Micro Brush Swabs | Bella Lash
https://www.amazon.com/AZDENT-Disposable-Applicators-materials-Bottles/dp/B00GJA7H7E

Last edited:
Here's the tool from Scubatools. The little white plunger makes slipping the oring deep into the connector without going too far, a piece of cake.
The plunger from Scuba Instruments is brass, hence more $$, but principle is identical.

Here's the tool from Scubatools. The little white plunger makes slipping the oring deep into the connector without going too far, a piece of cake.
The plunger from Scuba Instruments is brass, hence more $$, but principle is identical.
Plus $9 shipping :(

I've gotten similar microswabs sold as "car detailing" swabs. From the inevitable Amazon, about 100 per little plastic tube.

Um. $25 for a one trick pony, versus maybe $8 for the brass picks that find so many other uses....But it is a clever tool. Shame there's no way to just pay two three bucks and rent it for a couple of days, then pass it on to the next guy.

Plus $9 shipping :(

That's literally the only reason I haven't purchased it yet. I can easily justify the $14 for the tool but spending the extra $9 for shipping makes it tough to stomach. That said, the next time I'm ordering something from them, I'll be buying one.

That's literally the only reason I haven't purchased it yet. I can easily justify the $14 for the tool but spending the extra $9 for shipping makes it tough to stomach. That said, the next time I'm ordering something from them, I'll be buying one.

Then pity me! At DEMA last year, the guy from Scuba Instruments got me so excited that day, I paid $40 on the show floor for the brass one. It's very nice, and comes with a nice design brass pick.
But think how I felt when I got home and saw Scubatools' $14 model. :banghead::rant:
While you're at it, get a few extra double hook steel picks for the difficult cases and the shipping won't make you feel so bad. :D

Reactions: Tug
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom