Slightly out of Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a BP&W but have not yet tried a STA with it. What differences might I notice in using one? Would the difference be as significant if I were using an AL80 compared to, say, a steel 120?

No difference from the STA viewpoint. provided the trank straps secure very well the tank.
According with the shape of the STA you could find the tank to be not close enough to your back and, in case of heavy one some rolling, but it is much more dependent personal sensitivity and preference.

I used to have a problem with the wing nuts coming loose from time to time. It was never more than an annoying feeling that things weren't tight, but it was annoying. I eventually figured out that the problem was that I was not getting it truly tight in the first place. That is especially easy to do when you are setting your gear up while it is in an upright position, which is how you usually do it, as on a boat. It is easy for some of the wing material to bunch up a little under the backplate. You think you have it tight, but as soon as you are actually diving with air in the wing, that little bit of bunching goes away and leaves you with a slightly loose wing nut.

Second the lock washers. Mine were from Home Depot. You could probably find them at many hardware stores.

Ace Hardware stocks long SS bolts, nuts, and lock washers and appear to be Everywhere. ( at least in lower Manhattan and Ashevlle NC) Very handy.

There are a variety of designs for lock nuts and lock washers on line. Do you have a recommendation for ones you have used that both resist vibrations loosening during use, but also are not impossible to loosen to change out wing? In my freedom plate bp/w, i may need to remove rails that hold tank in order to change size of wing.

There are a variety of designs for lock nuts and lock washers on line. Do you have a recommendation for ones you have used that both resist vibrations loosening during use, but also are not impossible to loosen to change out wing? In my freedom plate bp/w, i may need to remove rails that hold tank in order to change size of wing.
The beauty about your Freedom Plate is that the cam bands can go through the plate even with the rail on making it very safe and secure. With the STA’s on the other plates they can’t do that. You’re going to need to pack a little 1/2” end wrench or nut driver in your save-a-dive kit or dive tool box. If you’re still worried about the nut coming loose, go to a 5/16” stainless nylock. Those will resist coming loose from vibration etc. The more you take them on and off the more the friction of the nylon lessens, so eventually they need to be replaced. Since you can use a wrench on the standard nut I doubt you will need to worry about it loosening. Wing nuts can only get finger tight unless you use a pair of pliers on them, and that seems to be most of the problem people are talking about with the other style back plates.

If you’re on a dive vacation for a week or two I wouldn’t worry about tearing down your rig every day to rinse it. Just soak it the best you can fully assembled when you can (or if you can), then wait until you get home to thoroughly strip it down and soak it.
Are you needing to change wings out during the same dive vacation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom