Powderheads/Bangsticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still, how loud is .223 underwater? The bangstick has like 40" handle. Does it also mess with your head from the bang in the immediate vicinity? If one is shot from a rifle, it is LOUD. In the water it should transfer the sound even better, no?

What happens to the projectile, does its release pose risks?

A 223 does less damage than a 38 357 or 45. Why, Because of the hole size more damage is caused By a large shock wave instead of a 223 size hole. I have made and tried them all. The best I have used was a 45 magnum. I use the standard 45 Auto built to military specs. As for the noise there isn't enough to worry about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From my earlier post to this thread :

Most of my experience has been with the 38 Caliber Samson power head -- It is loud and can and has "rang my bell" on several instances when I was a wee bit too close or encased in a kelp canopy.

My tribe had several rules -Use only with a clear shot in relatively open water (difficult when you hunt in kelp) don't fire toward the surface - the sound will be bounced back, and don't fire into a hole, never ever fire into a hole when you are near.

We made our own 20 gauge bang sticks from common items and always used near the surface to send a message toa BSB - which was the last message they received .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jack & I used a 38 as a hole banger -- we were always or generally always fired down or straight ahead -- I don't recall a problem,

I had a 38 cal Sampson Power head fire when I pulled the safety pin at a bout 30-40 feet deep -- gave me a thrill -- blew powder into my fingers and ears rang for a day or so...(the joy of those days of yesteryear )

Never a problem with our homemade 20 gauge shotgun poker bang sticks -- used them generally near the surface, report was as you would hear firing a 20 gauge in the air --loud and clear.

sdm

When i first bought my simple slip on powerheads i practiced with them in my pool. I bought a .223 and a .357. I shot them at a 18 inch diameter pine log weighed down by a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete. I shot from a distance of maybe 6 feet from the end of my speargun (maybe 11 feet from my mask). The sound was suprisedly muffled between the distance and i would imagine much of the force of the explosion going into the wood. Its a really good way to practice with your powerheads if you're curious how they handle.

You apparently had a Bang Stick not a power head--

Power heads aka Point Impact heads were only made in 22,cal --Jack Prodonovic, Bottom Scratcher's-1943
or 38 cal Herb Samson , Long Beach Neptunes 1951

Lets not confuse Power heads and Bang Sticks after all these great years

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom