Question, GoPro ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if this is the wrong board, please direct me to the right one if I'm off base.

Here's my question:
I have the Olympus TG that I use for photos but I bought the new Gopro Hero 6 and I want to play around doing videos with it. Can anyone tell me a good Gopro filter for blue caribbean water? One that will do what it's supposed to and not turn everything red/dark.

Thanks a bunch!! - Marty

Doesn’t the editing software have the filter option? I don’t know which software my coworker uses but he never uses a filter and fixes the color in editing.

You'll want a red filter...

The red filter from Polar works well. The filters from Backscatter are great but more expensive and a bit more involved to work with. That said you can have your choice of filters at the ready for different depths. The ones for deeper water have a stronger red component.

You can get basic GoPro filters. Not sure if they’re the best, I don’t know much about photography.

You’ll want a red filter for blue Caribbean water. I have used Switchblade and GoPro red filters and I can tell you the GoPro is much better - richer blue results. I have not tried Backscatter but hear great things.

There is a sweet spot in depth for your filter. Too shallow and it’s too red, too deep and there’s not enough natural light. When deeper I used to use lights with red filters especially when shooting a distance.

Back
Top Bottom