GUE Fundies - where should I do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm thinking GUE fundies might be in my future, just don't know when, where or with whom. I would like to do it in a single tank and wetsuit, as I'm a warm water vacation diver. The reason I want to do it is to improve trim, buoyancy, situational awareness and team skills with my buddy/hubby. We suck as a buddy team (but don't tell him that!)

So I'm thinking of the following 3 places to do the course:

1. Florida/Extreme Exposure
2. Mexico/Zero Gravity
3. Bonaire/Buddy Dive

I suspect that there are pros and cons of each of these places, but they're only guesses really. For example, in Florida, will I freeze my a$$ off in a wetsuit when in the springs for prolonged periods of time? I want to concentrate on doing my skills not shivering. So just trying to pick a location that will be conducive to my learning (comfortably).

I suspect people might suggest the instructor is the most important factor in deciding where to go. If that's the case, I'm looking for a firm, knowledgeable, experienced but PATIENT instructor. I am not God's gift to diving and I don't take eye rolls and egos too well.

Any thoughts?

contact Meredith, bunch of different options on where to do it. She regularly runs one in Raleigh NC in the summer where the water will get into the 70's-80's, granted at the sacrifice of vis, but you won't be seeing a whole lot in fundies anyway and air temps are quite warm. Don't think she's announced dates yet, but if you are on Facebook, it usually gets posted here
Raleigh Area Divers

Springs are 70f year round, so you'll want a 5mm, and probably a hood depending on your cold tolerance, but if you do it in the summer it will be real warm topside. I personally would do it in Raleigh over the springs due to the proximity of "stuff" in that city as well as the less offensive topside conditions for most of the year. If you drive, it's not a terrible drive from Toronto and Fantasy Lake is actually a really good training location.

edit:
her schedule is here and looks like she has a course open on Memorial Day. Temps for that are usually a smidgen warmer than the springs in the low 70's, and the vis hasn't gone to pea soup yet. I'd try to get in on that class if you can. Looks like she also has a split course available in June if you want to take the first couple days first, then dive a bit to take the rest of the class. That may be the better option for you to get the most out of it. Do the 2 day "primer" this year, dive a bunch, then when you are ready, take the second part in 2019
Fall & 2018 Course Availability | Wet Rocks Diving

Any of the options you have listed will work. Bonaire and Mexico will be warmer than Florida.
GUE instructors are taught to be flexible with how they get students to achieve their goals, so your best bet is to get in contact with each of them, And to chat through your goals and reservations with them.

HTH
John

I would suggest you take just Fundies Part 1, or just hire a GUE instructor for some private lesson dives.

We have some GUE instructors in TX as well. If you come in the summer, the water will be plenty warm.

FYI, Zero Gravity is on the mainland, so they might do their dives in the Cenotes, which are around 70F water.

All three are great choices. I've taken GUE classes at Zero Gravity and Bonaire. And of course Extreme Exposure is in the heart of cave country and is where GUE started. The most "warm water vacation diver" type facility would be Buddy Dive in Bonaire. The other two are more cave oriented. German "Mr. G" Arango is the GUE instructor at Buddy Dive. He can be reached at mr_g@gue.com.

contact Meredith, bunch of different options on where to do it. She regularly runs one in Raleigh NC in the summer where the water will get into the 70's-80's, granted at the sacrifice of vis, but you won't be seeing a whole lot in fundies anyway and air temps are quite warm. Don't think she's announced dates yet, but if you are on Facebook, it usually gets posted here
Raleigh Area Divers

Springs are 70f year round, so you'll want a 5mm, and probably a hood depending on your cold tolerance, but if you do it in the summer it will be real warm topside. I personally would do it in Raleigh over the springs due to the proximity of "stuff" in that city as well as the less offensive topside conditions for most of the year. If you drive, it's not a terrible drive from Toronto and Fantasy Lake is actually a really good training location.

edit:
her schedule is here and looks like she has a course open on Memorial Day. Temps for that are usually a smidgen warmer than the springs in the low 70's, and the vis hasn't gone to pea soup yet. I'd try to get in on that class if you can. Looks like she also has a split course available in June if you want to take the first couple days first, then dive a bit to take the rest of the class. That may be the better option for you to get the most out of it. Do the 2 day "primer" this year, dive a bunch, then when you are ready, take the second part in 2019
Fall & 2018 Course Availability | Wet Rocks Diving

Thanks for the recommendation! Meredith seems to be highly recommended. I will put her on my list. I agree that we are probably good candidates for the Fundies part 1, then part 2, as opposed to doing the full course all at once.

I would suggest you take just Fundies Part 1, or just hire a GUE instructor for some private lesson dives.

FYI, Zero Gravity is on the mainland, so they might do their dives in the Cenotes, which are around 70F water.

I agree that doing Fundies part 1 first is a good idea.

I have a little experience in the cenotes. I dived them in late August/early September this year, and the area was not as hot/humid as I remember it. I did not even sweat all week. It was very cool for that time of year. By the end of the 3rd day of 2-tank cenote diving, I was shivering and my guide asked me if I was getting cold, as apparently my lips were turning blue. I was in a 5mm, and 3mm beanie. So I need to carefully consider water temp and exposure protection for the course.

All three are great choices. I've taken GUE classes at Zero Gravity and Bonaire. And of course Extreme Exposure is in the heart of cave country and is where GUE started. The most "warm water vacation diver" type facility would be Buddy Dive in Bonaire. The other two are more cave oriented. German "Mr. G" Arango is the GUE instructor at Buddy Dive. He can be reached at mr_g@gue.com.

Thank you! I will put Mr. G on my list as well. Where do you do the skills for Fundies at Buddy Dive? Their house reef? Seems to be easiest from a logistics perspective, and the water will be warm. :D

Do you have an instructor recommendation for Zero Gravity?

I took a different class at Buddy Dive, so I'm not certain, but the house reef sure makes sense for fundies. Talk about *perfect* logistics!

I know Kelvin Davidson, who teaches fundies down there in Mexico, he was in my T2 class (Not that he needed to take it, - he was crossing over from another agency, and previously was the Tec Dive director at Truk Stop, at Truk Lagoon). Very personable, funny guy, and a great diver/instructor as well. Not sure if he teaches out of ZG or his own shop down the road.

Zero Gravity - all of the instructors there are incredible and very squared away. Many of them are the divers who originally explored the Mexico cave systems. I'd suggest you simply call or email the shop and ask who is actively teaching fundies.

I took a different class at Buddy Dive, so I'm not certain, but the house reef sure makes sense for fundies. Talk about *perfect* logistics!

I know Kelvin Davidson, who teaches fundies down there in Mexico, he was in my T2 class (Not that he needed to take it, - he was crossing over from another agency, and previously was the Tec Dive director at Truk Stop, at Truk Lagoon). Very personable, funny guy, and a great diver/instructor as well. Not sure if he teaches out of ZG or his own shop down the road.

Zero Gravity - all of the instructors there are incredible and very squared away. Many of them are the divers who originally explored the Mexico cave systems. I'd suggest you simply call or email the shop and ask who is actively teaching fundies.

Thanks for your info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom