Cairns Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thinking of a trip to Australia in March. Has anyone done the Spirit of Freedom liveabord to Cod Hole and Ribbon Reef recently? How was the coral life and your overall experience? Thanks!!!

Yes to both and some of the best diving the Reef has to offer. Not been up there for over a year now, but the variety of life is amazing.

Spirit of Freedom (like Mike Ball the other trip running up to the Ribbon Reefs) has high quality of service and dive locations. I am more partial to Spirit (better boat IMO) than Mike Ball but you can't go wrong with either.

Very little coral bleaching was seen, and they try to avoid those areas. Some friends who returned a month or so ago said the coral was coming back and with a decent rainy season due it will help a lot.

March wil be over the monsoon season and although possible to get some late rains and storms, its generally pretty good and quite time of the year. Water still warm (26 Deg C).

Overall I would rate the SOF trip as one of the best I have done and I have dived a lot of places! Go for it you wont be disappointed. :)

Hi there,

We offer liveaboards to Cod Hole and Ribbon Reef, including with Spirit of Freedom, and there are lots of diver reviews about Spirit of Freedom here. The Spirit of Freedom offers 3, 4 and 7-day liveaboards and the reviews will give you a broad view of peoples' experiences with that vessel.

We also have more information about Ribbon Reef liveaboard diving and what to expect.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hi I am planing a trip to visit Barrier reef sometime between 25 of April till 6th of May. Just was wondering is this a ok season for diving? In previous post it was mentioned about monsoon season. Thanks

Monsoon season will be over by then. Its hard with such unpredictable weather patterns these days but chances of a cyclone would be rare. Even in peak monsoon season trips are very rarely cancelled.

I was on SOF in October 2016. Good diving, excellent crew, comfortable boat, good food. I highly recommend doing the Osprey Reef itinerary which also covers the Ribbon Reefs if you can pick just 1 and not the whole week. While the cods are cool, the diving out at Osprey’s wall as a drift is good. Excellent visibility, better coral and sponge life, and they do a shark feed as well.

Would anyone be worried about weather/cyclones doing a liveaboard towards the end of march around the 19th?

Would anyone be worried about weather/cyclones doing a liveaboard towards the end of march around the 19th?

Highly unlikely. Have nothing yet and we consider March the end of the seaxon. Trips rarely cancel due to cyclones and although possible I would certainly not be worrying about this in March

No. I would not be worried. As aqua pro has mentioned a couple of times above it is relatively rare to impact a trip even in peak cyclone season.

But it is weather and there will never be guarantees.

The more expensive liveaboards seem to go out to Cods and Ribbon. I'm thinking of a cheaper liveaboard since I'm broke, but with that said I'm wodering are Cods & Ribbon that much better? Is it work another $1000? Are they that epic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom