Dive Bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They might be small balls that were released at depth and they rose to the surface at a specific rate, maybe the old "25' per minute". I know that they were produced at one time, although I have never seen them.

Yes what SimonBeans said.

A few years ago my LDS had some NIB and he gave them to me. They came with instructions to release them, only one at a time. And don't surface any faster than the "Bubbles".

Not surfacing faster than your smaller bubbles was also the standard "rule of thumb" used at one time to avoid going up too fast.

One of the two boxes that I have is not open, but the I could actually test the other ones...

It just doesn't have any instructions on how you retrieve them. They are obviously supposed to get to the surface before the diver those. Are they supposed then stay put and wait for the diver. :happywave:
I don't think this was well thought out.

Maybe I should try them once in a very calm pond.

That's what I thought. I was taught not to exceed the small bubbles from my regulator. I guess this is a one-time item to use, I see no recovery of the balls in open water.

I suspect that these fell by the wayside with the introduction of the Safety Stop and the 30 feet per minute ascent rate.

I doubt if they ever caught on. Seemed too much of a bother. As dead dog says, we were taught not to ascend faster than the smallest bubbles, or about 25' per minute. There were many "innovations" in the 1960s when scuba became a major sport. Most went like the Do-Do bird. One of my favorites was a 2-3" convex mirror attached to a wrist strap so that you could keep track of your buddy without turning around. Or maybe to see if "jaws" was sneaking up from behind. Lots of gizmos and gadgets. Aqua Craft was a company that seemed to market a whole lot of them. The "good ole days", when dive training was actually rigorous.

Thanks for all the answers I received. It sold for less than $15.00, so not worth anything.

I love these things. Have 3 or 4 sets around the house. These were much better projectiles to be thrown at younger siblings than dive equipment. I buy them whenever I see them out of nostalgia mostly, and because my grandfather loved anything like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom