NEW Suunto EON Core Just Released!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great question, I like to configurable options and screen display of the of the core a little bit better. I have used one and really enjoyed how customizable each screen is. The perdix looks to be a lot like it and from what I've read here, maybe even a better computer. Honestly what makes me lean towards the perdix is the dual transmitter display and the easy change of the batteries v.s the recharging ones in the core. They both seem like great options.

I've been in the market for a new computer and was leaning towards a perdix AI. I dive sidemount and really like the ability to display 2 tank pressure readings at once. I don't always use the transmitters but I like the option to do so. I wonder if the suunto will come out with a similar feature soon? I was about to order at perdix until I saw this post.....decisions decisions....

when I bought my EON STEEL, I had these sort of expectations (upgradable firmware). Well it is fine computer, for single tank diving, nice compass and easy to read, but the price tag is too high (for just that) .. as for the firmware updates .. there is nice thread with interesting suggestions, somebody from suunto already replied, but so far .. there has been just some minor or graphical updates .. so far as I am concerned, I will wait till summer and in the mean time looking for some replacement .. currently I feel stupid for buying overpriced tool :(

when I bought my EON STEEL, ... in the mean time looking for some replacement .. currently I feel stupid for buying overpriced tool :(

I agree, 999$ without a transmitter, which means about 1300$ with transmitter seems way too expensive. If you look for a replacement, keep in mind that arguably the best computers are now produced in Czech Republic - Divesoft Freedom. No AI though.

I'm curious...given the unmatched (on ScubaBoard, anyway) strongly positive reputation of Shearwater, maker of the Perdix A.I., what features of the Core make you consider getting it instead? It might be interesting to other people trying to discriminate between options.

Richard.

Good question. There is on SB somewhat of a Sherewater Fan club, and to be fair its a good computer. However there is an undercurrent of if it isn’t sherewater then it’s not worth it.

However in the US there is a large difference in price due to your MSRP. In the UK the Perdix can be more expensive than the EON

I have the Eon Steel, I was an early adopter (at the time AI was important to me and sherewater didn’t have that function in their range.

My steel has around 400 dives on it and I use it hard. I’ve also had some conversations with Suunto directly.

The screen, whether you use the graphical display, the classic (just numbers) of the new Prominent is without comparison - I’ve dived a perdix on my wrist at the same time and their display isn’t in the same ballpark

Being able to customise what you want is good. We all dive differently and have different requirements. Also you can create different modes (groups of settings). So I have a mode for DM’ing or Teaching where for one my conservatism is quite high to match entry level computers. For fun diving I’ll have a low conservatism and diff ENG gasses. So one button press moves to my preference for that setting

Talking of conservatism The Fused RGBM on the Eon and the DX can be very liberal. I’ve put mine at the Most liberal setting next to a Perdix with it’s conservatism set to low and had marginally more NDL and less time on (small) deco stops.

There is an argument that RGBM is proprietary. True it is, But so Is Bühlmann - in the regard that different manufacturer’s put their tweeks into it.

I can plan a dive to 50m with 2 deco gasses, along side someone on a sherewater and not die. I’ve yet to push my Eon beyond that.

As an aside I do want another computer to run alongside my Suunto and I want one with Bühlmann - I will choose the OSTC 4 (which isn’t available in the USA), and has a display to match the Eon, but with the different algorithm.

I already have a Perdix (non-AI). Why am I tempted by the Eon Core? I could get it as a backup...Someone knock some sense into me please!

I already have a Perdix (non-AI). Why am I tempted by the Eon Core? I could get it as a backup...Someone knock some sense into me please!
The Eon Steel and the Core are both air integrated, if air integration is not important to you, you would likely never have any interest. Of course, if you had an interest in AI, you could buy a Perdix AI and have your decompression algorithms match 100%. As stated above, US prices may be different that other countries. In the US, the Steel will cost you about $1880, the Core about $1430, the Perdix AI about $1184.

Less important for rec diving, tec divers cite a nonstandard decompression algorithm as compared to Buhlmann ZH-L16C as a major con.

The prices in the US bear no relation to the rest of the world for these computers. The core is significantly cheaper where I live. $760 for the Core with POD, $970 for the Steel with POD and the Perdix $1300 with tank pod.

My question is do any of these record your gas level at entry and on completion of the dive?

The prices in the US bear no relation to the rest of the world for these computers. The core is significantly cheaper where I live. $760 for the Core with POD, $970 for the Steel with POD and the Perdix $1300 with tank pod.

My question is do any of these record your gas level at entry and on completion of the dive?

Do you mean starting and ending tank pressures? The Perdix AI definitely does. Going to the Shearwater Cloud log app on my iPhone and I'll post a screen shot.
4005C790-D179-4676-A1A7-2FFB016B70BD.jpeg

Yes the Eon family track your gas start and end, plus each gas switch. Depending on your choice of dive log program there will be a lot of information available from both

I own a perdix and a Eon Steel. Although the perdix hasn't been used that much so I'm unwilling to make detailed comparisons.

I prefer using a cable to link to my computers (Eon) as the Shearwater Bluetooth only supports nweer OS (Not Win 7) but if you're using a mobile device to retrieve data that's not an issue

Great thanks for the info. I ended up getting the Core, considered the Perdix but it's a bit pricey. Haven't dived the Core yet but its customisation is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom