Biggest thing killing dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Service on regs in many small dive stores is relegated to some youngster who has attended a half day seminar at a DEMA show
or a local dive show. He won't even be there in a year or two.

The stores/repair centers who have full time reg techs and service all brands are a much better choice.
They have the inventory of parts, they service hundreds of regs annually.

These stores have all the proper equipment, the measuring devices.

The turnaround time is fast and efficient.

Here is just one: www.underwatersports.com
Take a look at their service center page.

There are a number of others: DRIS, Scubatoys, and more.

Reactions: mdb
The cycle shops are coming back … but as specialty upmarket brands catering to dedicated hobbyists.

Not where I live: we have a big one that offers free service for life that never went away and seems to be doing just fine. I think they mostly sell commute-level bikes -- not the wallmart level, but when you consider at the parts you have to use to make the "free service for life" thing work, you'll know why. But it helps to be in a university town where large percent of the population can commute on pushbikes and there's an influx of new customers every year.

I'm sorry... But I'm someone who used to service regulators for a reasonably large dive business in a tropical location (as well as being an instructor full time), this is nonsense.

It takes me about 15 mins to service a set of regs. For a twinset with an extra first stage I would take that up to 20 mins. If they need a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner I can make a cup of tea or strip something else down whilst it's working it's magic.

And I'm not particularly quick or good! I know one person who can service a full set of shop regs in about 8 mins.

Then you aren't doing a good job at it or not doing it all properly.

I'm not particularly quick or good!

It shows for sure.

Hello OP,

The quotes below are the start to resolving your question regarding the dive industry:
Rather than asking what shop owners “think” is killing their business, maybe the better question is to ask the scuba diving consumer why they’re not going into their LDS to spend their money. I think the industry is thinking about the “problem” from the wrong angle. Hence, the problem persists.

People obsessed with rules attracting other people who love rules and like being the big kahuna :D

I feel all the medical waivers and liability issues has ruined a lot of things about the activity and once you own a boat it’s tough to go back

Too many divers are not interested in fitness and don’t understand risk which makes it difficult for fit people to be bossed around about safety

It’s about so much more than retail

I'm not for excluding anyone but I resent all the bossy people telling us how to dive when they are a train wrecks. And then they all booze it up late at night on vacation and show up at the boat half dead but have a heart attack if my husband and I want to split a Corona with our fish taco off site. I think dive shops have a culture and too many have gone the direction of pushing gear and rules (classes) without the foundation of good self discipline and setting a good example.
I am just saying that the scuba industry has an image problem as I see it and I have been very involved for many years (VI, Hawaii, California)
My husband and I both love diving and I am trying to explain what turned us off (from most dive businesses) even though we have a lot of great "diving friends" --the establishments generally evolve to something many do not want to seek out or pay for.
IF someone said "why did you eventually get out of horse shows?" I could provide that answer as well..

Hello OP:

This industry needs to learn to allow people to dive to their certification level and allow them to have a good time. Too many SCUBA police on their high-horse.

The comments about California diving are right-on. The dive boat operators offer a taxi-service. It is so refreshing!

Part of the problem is our changing culture. We are becoming a nanny-state, participation-trophy society. Risk taking is not for youngsters any more.

I am so tired of "lowest common denominator" diving.

It is the pro dive culture, micro and macro, not just the LDS owner and workers.

Thanks,
markm

Service on regs in many small dive stores is relegated to some youngster who has attended a half day seminar at a DEMA show
or a local dive show. He won't even be there in a year or two.

The stores/repair centers who have full time reg techs and service all brands are a much better choice.
They have the inventory of parts, they service hundreds of regs annually.

These stores have all the proper equipment, the measuring devices.

The turnaround time is fast and efficient.

Here is just one: www.underwatersports.com
Take a look at their service center page.

There are a number of others: DRIS, Scubatoys, and more.

Agreed, I have my regs serviced @ either Scubatoys (with a professional reg tech there who've Ive met in person and watched work on my regs) or We-B-Divin where the reg tech is a family member of the shop owner (who I've also watched working on my stuff) , not out sourced to some teenaged summer intern!

Reactions: mdb
My next-door neighbor, who works for Dick's, said they are busy buying out all the other Sporting Goods stores, aside from Big 5. I heard a rumor that Best Buy is going out of business (or closing), at least the one near me. Do you have any data to confirm your statements? Dick's may be struggling but, from what I heard, they are struggling to become a near-monopoly.

Best Buy = Sales are up, profits are up, stock is up. They are doing fine, at the moment, and haven't been "Amazonified".
Dicks = Sales are barely up, foot traffic appears to be down, profits are way down. Two of their biggest vendors are Under Armour & Nike;
Under Armour = Sales are down, profits are down, stock is down. Struggling in the category of "Athliesure".
Nike = Sales are flat, profits are down and Nike is looking at Direct to Consumer.

The Dicks closest to me has a lot of floor space/collateral devoted to Under Armour. They should rethink that, and/or come up with a Dicks line of comparable clothing/products.

Dicks buying other stores that carry the same proudct(s) (that are struggling), along with Retail struggling as a whole, does not necessarily create a monopoly.

Who is a company/retailer that is doing it right besides Apple ?? Look at Lulu Lemon, Home Depot and just about any "Dollar Type Store".

Now with that said, regarding the ORIGINAL question/topic posed by the OP, "Biggest Thing Killing Dive Shops, etc"; My local dive shop is thriving, profitable, etc. Besides scuba (OW to Rebreathers), they have their own indoor pool at 91 degrees year round, female ownership, diverse staff & customer base, community outreach, dive club, trips, clean ups, etc. When the pool is not being used for scuba, they have 800 students/kids (& their parents) taking swimming lessons walking through the door every single week. What the shop DOESN'T have is shag carpet, cigarette burns in the shag carpet, wood paneling and a crusty ol' "know it all" sitting behind the counter insulting everyone that comes in.

A few more, all with excellent reputations:

Malibu Dive Repair
AirTech Scuba Services
Gamble Scuba
Superior Diving Repair, Inc.

The local dive shop does not have a monopoly on gear service. If you take the "life support equipment" argument seriously, they may actually be a terrible choice.

-B
Nice list Brandon. Air Tech Scuba Services is known for great professional service and quick turnaround.

Going with a pro service facility is IMHO the very best way to get top notch service at reasonable prices and
good turnaround time.

Going with a pro service facility is IMHO the very best way to get top notch service at reasonable prices and good turnaround time.

I concur. Dive gear repair isn't rocket science but it is complex enough, and the variety is large enough, to make it hard for part-time people to develop the expertise and efficiency you really want. Dedicated repair shops are more likely to have the spares needed in inventory, making quick turnarounds more likely. Some manufacturers will service their gear as well. Atomic will service their regulators and verify operation in their ANSTI breathing machine.

Back
Top Bottom