Keys: How to avoid spring break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy Northrup

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is the best window of time to avoid being in Key Largo and the surrounding area for spring break. Headed down for some training and a long stay and really have no desire to be around idiots.

I guess I should have asked if it is really all that bad first.

Thanks

Idiots? That's a bit harsh isn't it?

It's just not that bad in the Keys. I would avoid Daytona and Miami, but the Keys are a different animal.

And Key West. KW can be a bit spring brake-y
We pronounce it "Key Weird" or "Key Wasted", depending on the week. Fun for an evening, but I never liked it much.

We pronounce it "Key Weird" or "Key Wasted", depending on the week. Fun for an evening, but I never liked it much.
Back in the late 70s early 80s we'd ride our bikes down from Daytona for the weekends.....loved it down there...dove, drank, chased women and drank some more. ...slept anywhere you wanted like on the beach!....nothing at all resembling what it offers today! I truely miss that Kool place feeling, but it'll never see me again.:-(

If you want to avoid idiots, then why are you planning to spend a good deal of time with dive instructors?:D

As mentioned by @THE Chariman, the Upper Keys are not nearly as big a magnet for the spring break crowd as other locales. Even in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, few of the more festive and foolhardy party gang congregate aboard the dive boats.

The college kids that I’ve encountered tend to be relatively new divers or go to schools where access to diving is extremely limited if it exists at all. The vast majority of these young people are very excited and enthusiastic about the opportunity to dive, (“We’re way stoked to be here dude”), and have gone to some not small expense to take a class, rent gear, and book a charter or two. Some of these folks have been dreaming of these trips for quite a while, and have enough respect and basic understanding to show up sober, on time, and with at least a modicum of courtesy and dignity. Once you get back on land though, things can change immediately.

I’ve only visited Key Largo a few times for half-day dive charters since Hurricane Irma passed thru. I do not know the current status of the infrastructure that may effect your plans. I suggest that you contact the instructor or shop that you expect to train with, and see if they can advise you about any accommodations, services, and amenities that you will require.

As you’re planning a long stay @Mindset, you might want to take advantage of the diving further north off of West Palm Beach, Jupiter, and etc. for a few days.

Last edited:
I truely miss that Kool place feeling, but it'll never see me again.:-(
The reefs are still there and are still kewl. Lots of good ops that have fun the whole time. Ce-Ce's puns alone (Rainbow Reef) are worth the trip.
As you’re planning a long stay
Be sure to ask your dive op for 'specials' that include nearby hotels and diving. You can save a lot, and most of the East Coast dive ops don't have anything close to this. This is especially true if you're planning to do your DM or Instructor certs there. Both Horizon and Rainbow Reef have student dorms. There might be others and it's worth asking, even if you're just going to dive!

You just don't want to be driving north out of the keys on Sunday!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom