Hollis future support for Prism 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ISC independently created, developed and owns all it's code. That is a direct quote from the CEO of ISC today at 18:31hrs PST.

How I understand it is that ISC owns the primary handset/controller (Apeks 4), and HUD. There is an option where the secondary can be a Shearwater Petrel ISCAN2 or Nerd (HUD + Secondary).

interesting and good to know. Thanks for clarifying.
I figured they did all of their own solenoid programming and what not since they have developed a very good solenoid control in the past so it would make sense that that implementation was translated into the digital control, but that's different than the bus interface interface itself and is curious what part of the "joint venture" Shearwater had since Leon is saying they didn't have any part of it.

Also, your comment about ISC supporting their electronics "forever", can you please clarify that since their website specifically states end of life for pre-iscan units of yesterday? Specifically that they can no longer guarantee service of said units. What is to stop them from doing the same with the Meg15? You made a very confident and blanket statement, and clearly have better information than the rest of us, so care to elaborate?

The APECS 2.7 family has been around for about 10 years. If I want to buy a part for my 49 Chevy truck I can't go to my GM dealer and pick it up. I expect there will be spares around for years to come but when they're gone, they're gone. Does Shearwater still support the Predator?

Yes eventually APECS 4 will be replaced by something else and it will no longer be supported too, ISC has been around for a long time and they are here for the long haul. Other than APD who has been around as long?

How I understand it is that ISC owns the primary handset/controller (Apeks 4), and HUD. There is an option where the secondary can be a Shearwater Petrel ISCAN2 or Nerd (HUD + Secondary).
That is correct.

@wedivebc yes, shearwater does still support the predator. I had a buddies go back a few weeks ago for new piezo buttons and battery contacts. Had one go back a few months ago that had a bad board fault and they upgraded him to a Petrel 2 for like $200 or something.

The iterations of the Poseidon Se7en have been around longer, other than that no one that I can think of. What that still doesn't do is give warm fuzzies about what happens when Leon dies... Hopefully that won't happen for a while and hopefully he sells the company before then, but it's still a thing you have to be aware of when buying a product from a company that is centered around its owner. I like my meg, I'm happy with it, and I'd buy one again, but I don't think there is anything about the Meg15 or Pathfinder that makes it worth the money compared to other options on the market, especially if they are doing all of the electronics in house

@jeff h difference between owns, and independently developed. The way I understood it was the JV was to allow ISC to take advantage of Shearwaters expertise in electronics and implement a bus structure, and then ISC can go in and program it however they want to put their algorithms, menu structures, etc. in vs. the stock Shearwater menus. That is 100% fine and was expected. What is bizarre is that both ISC and Shearwater have said that JV existed going back to 2009, but Leon said last night that they did it all on their own. If that's the case, what was the point of the JV? It's not really a joint venture if all they did was give Shearwater the ability to monitor the bus and Shearwater didn't do anything in return. Just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
@wedivebc
The way I understood it was the JV was to allow ISC ....

Are you sure it's a Joint Venture, and not just a partnership where the Shearwater products are able to work with the ISCAN system? Possibly some IP is shared, but that is all. Then the Shearwater products are also sold directly through ISC too.

Are you sure it's a Joint Venture, and not just a partnership where the Shearwater products are able to work with the ISCAN system? Possibly some IP is shared, but that is all. Then the Shearwater products are also sold directly through ISC too.

they specifically said joint venture.

@wedivebc the original mkvi was 2005?, and I think is similar enough to the MK5 released in 98? that it counts. Cis-Lunar was fully acquired by Poseidon in 05 so it's a continuation of that rebreather and company. Same basic timeline of the Meg though, at least within a year or two, though I don't really consider the MK5, VI, or Se7en in the same caliber as the Meg, but still around

@wedivebc the original mkvi was 2005?, and I think is similar enough to the MK5 released in 98? that it counts. Cis-Lunar was fully acquired by Poseidon in 05 so it's a continuation of that rebreather and company. Same basic timeline of the Meg though, at least within a year or two, though I don't really consider the MK5, VI, or Se7en in the same caliber as the Meg, but still around
I don't know where the MKVI was hiding from 2005 until 2012 but that was when it was first seen in the public eye. My first sighting of a Poseidon MK VI was at Rebreather Forum 3.0 in Orlando May 2012.

I don't know where the MKVI was hiding from 2005 until 2012 but that was when it was first seen in the public eye. My first sighting of a Poseidon MK VI was at Rebreather Forum 3.0 in Orlando May 2012.

From DEMA 2007
DEMA 2007: Poseidon Rebreathers

The MKV *not 5p* before that I think went back to 2000 and the evolution from that to the Se7en is essentially in electronics, no different than the Meg or APD timelines. Either way, splitting hairs

Who's "they", and can you be so kind as to point me to a link or a public announcement? Joint venture implies shared ownership and I don't think this is the case.

Back
Top Bottom