Solomons itinerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to do a Solomon's trip. We are living in, and coming from, Bali. Thought you all might have something you would like to add, or subtract.

To give you an idea who we are -- we are a retired (read "mature", not that other word!) couple, we have 300+ dives, but we don't dive deeper than 30m. We like current and the fish (and esp. the predators) that it brings just fine, though we probably would not do something waaay too advanced. We can do blue water ascents. Obviously no decomp dives.

I have back issues, so I really don't want to carry the gear at all! We need easy ins and outs, where we take off our gear in the water. We have all our own gear -- can we bring it? Apparently there will be a new flight from BNE to Munda starting in April 2018?

Typically we like 4-star resorts but we might not be able to get that in the Solomons. Looking for comments from those who have been there!

So.....what I have in mind is:

10 nights at Munda
7 nights at Gizo
8 nights at Solomons Dive Adventures on Turupu near Seghe. (a real get-away, and NOT 4- STAR!)

We might cut it back a bit from that.

We looked at LOBs, it seems that the Bilikini is getting pretty long in the tooth, and the new one SIDE, though not old, is not new and, at $5K/pax for 10 days, is quite expensive.

After the Solomons we might be able to head to Truk and maybe Yap? Haven't looked much at that, yet. I think I'd rather go someplace like Yap than to Palau?

What time of year is best? Worst?

After all this we might be able to head up to Japan, maybe (I think I saw $1,000 from Guam to Narita?) and maybe then even back to the States, maybe.

Anyway I would love some comments.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Last edited:
I had worked on planning a trip for over a year...but the $$$ was proving to be just too much for our budget. The fact that places like Munda only have ...what...just a few dive operators...make the prices out of my budget at this point. If you have $$$$$$ to spend it will be worth it. No other boats around, etc. We're planning on flying back to Bali with some diving in other parts of Indonesia instead. Three times more diving for my $$$$$ and more places to choose from at SEVERAL price levels. Maybe in a few more years we'll feel like spending the bucks. Hope it works out...ENJOY...would love to see photos and a trip report on this board.

Lived on Guam for 7 years. You can fly to Palau from Japan. There are several good Palau/Yap posts on this board. Check with United to see if they still have the Yap/Palau connection. There was a post recently that they had cancelled it, making it a requirement to access both islands via Guam. Enjoy! Also lots of reasonable ($$$)diving in the Philippines.

After the Solomons we might be able to head to Truk and maybe Yap? Haven't looked much at that, yet. I think I'd rather go someplace like Yap than to Palau?

Hi Bill,
Just chiming in on the Yap vs Palau question. I think the diving in Palau would have more to offer you given your Indo experience than the diving in Yap.

IMO the strengths of Yap are topside a more interesting and intact culture, great manta cleaning station when the mantas are there (which they frequently aren't), Manta Ray Bay ran a great shark feed back in 08 (if you attend them), and Manta Ray Bay's an excellent small, service-oriented, dive lodge (and there may be others). If you've dove e.g. Komodo's Manta Alley you hopefully had close experience with groups of mantas, or maybe you were lucky with encounters at Raja's Magic Mountain (including the massive oceanics). Don't get me wrong, they're majestic animals which I always love to see and topside Yap's culture was much more accessible but overall I think the diving is more interesting in Palau. Outside of the cleaning station and shark feed, the rest of the diving in Yap I didn't find outstanding in terms of coral or fish life.

I'm not sure why you're leaning away from Palau? I read your recent post about now enjoying reef hook diving and stronger currents. I think you'd have no problem doffing your gear in water and for the majority of sites I think you'd be able to don it in water too. I've read of ripping currents but in 2 weeks land-based there, including multiple trips to Peleliu I never experienced any, nor did my friends diving with another op. My most challenging currents have by far been in Indo. There is actually interesting smaller stuff in Palau but unless you can locate a guide who pays attention to it you're likely to miss it (I've heard some of the guides focussing on Japanese divers pay more attention to critters). I thought the coral and fish life in Palau was healthier than Yap and the reef topographies more varied.

I was told by a long time dive guide there that the best time to dive Palau is in Dec, but it's also more crowded then. The summer (when I dove it) is not supposed to be ideal due to the warmer water. Perhaps you could hit early or late prime season with fewer crowds?

Highly recommend you find someone good to book a Peleliu topside tour with as well. Really incredible what is there and the history.

You're a lucky guy with these decisions.

UEPI. If you're going to dive in Solomons, you have to visit Uepi. You never have to dive anywhere but the island, but they are all 2-10 minute boat dives so you can de-kit in the water. The numerous staff will help you with all your gear as much or as little as you want them to.
If you like predators - just google the Welcome Jetty

e.g

Palua v. Yap: Hands down, Palau. We did a two week trip a few years ago, Palau on the Siren liveaboard (no longer available) and Yap at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel. The diving experience in Palau is fantastic and we will go again if us "mature" folks don't run out of time/desire/money.

After all this we might be able to head up to Japan, maybe (I think I saw $1,000 from Guam to Narita?) and maybe then even back to the States, maybe.

Both have Chuuk and Yap have great diving. Chuuk is better known for WW2 wrecks, while Yap is where folks go to see coral reef and marine life. Chuuk is also known for having higher crime compared to the other states, but compared to where you’re coming from, crime in Chuuk is nearly nil.

Here is a good primer: The Best of Micronesia for Scuba Divers — The Ultimate Dive Planning Guide

Getting there and away is easy. United airlines has an island hopper that goes Guam - Chuuk - Pohnpei - Kosrae - Kwajalein - Majuro - Honolulu three days per week, and goes the same route in reverse the other three days (no flights on the Sabbath).

Time of year. Weather wise, there are only wet and dry seasons in tropical areas. These places are generally 8 or 9 degrees north of the equator so there isn’t that much temperature variance. Definitely no “winter” or “spring” or “fall.” That being said, “winter months” (from an American perspective) see a slight uptick in tourism—I think they’re trying to escape the cold back home.

The other great thing about Micronesia is that they are very pro-American. English skills vary but they are officially bilingual. They tend to be shy around foreigners but it’s a polite shyness.

Back
Top Bottom