Traveling with Sola lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is only spare lithium batteries that cannot be checked. Installed are OK.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Yes but in the link I described the wording is different:

"Devices containing lithium metal or lithium ion batteries (laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc.) should be carried in carry-on baggage when possible. When these devices must be carried in checked baggage, they should be turned completely off, protected from accidental activation, and packed so they are protected from damage.

Some of which is open to interpretation and American Airlines asks you to remove batteries from devices in checked baggage. Whether the AA rules are enforced is another story.

If you don't know the W-hr rating of your batteries check the manufacturer's website and contact them if they don't provide the data. Most new batteries should have the W-hr rating on the label, unfortunately often in fine print. The rule is normally up to 100 W-hrs no restrictions as long as it is protected from shorts. Basically this means having a case or a cap to protect the terminals. you also need to be able to show the light can't accidentally be turned on. IF you are flying in other countries download and print your airline's restrictions.

Never had a problem with Solas in my carry-on. All my camera gear goes in carry on. Housing, strobes and arms and lights in a roller, padded with socks and underwear. Camera bodies and lenses + laptop in a backpack. Wouldn't check any of it. I had all of my chargers destroyed on the way to Honduras in checked luggage. They left me with half of each charger.

I've also never had a problem carrying my SOLA lights in my carry-on. Done it numerous times.

Back
Top Bottom