Taming things dangling off my BCD. A big rubber band maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been searching on streamlining and whatnot for a couple of hours, and I haven't found what I'm looking for. Mostly people fussing at each other about if drag is a thing or not. I care about drag, but mostly I don't want to crack the coral when I mess up 'just a little' which is often because I'm a novice.

I will be super specific. I have a gopro with a stick grip attached to my right BCD chest ring, I have a dive light attached to my left BCD ring. I wear an aqualung dimension BCD. They dangle when I let them go. The octo pocket on my bcd has an octo in it so it isn't an option. My BCD pockets have things I don't want to access often, (backup light on night dives, gloves, slate, safety sausage.)

I want my light and my camera to stop dangling. I want a product where I can 'tuck them in' for two point suspension. Something like a big ass rubber band or a bungie cord which will stay put on my BCD and not wander around, where I can 'tuck the damn things' in.

Any help?

This is semi-related, hopefully it will help. A bungee strap from the dollar store.

Awesome! This is very helpful.

I keep some of my "dangly stuff" controlled by using about a 2 inch section of a bicycle inner tube. I will clip something on to a D-ring and then tuck the dangly end into the loop of inner tube.

I keep some of my "dangly stuff" controlled by using about a 2 inch section of a bicycle inner tube. I will clip something on to a D-ring and then tuck the dangly end into the loop of inner tube.

This helped me as well.

Bit of a question, where does one acquire inner-tube if they don't have old ones laying around? I don't, and I hesitate to pay a lot for a new one if I'm going to chop it up.

Instead of using the ball bungee as shown in the video above, just get plain bungee and some small 4" zip ties. Make a loop the diameter you want with about an inch of overlap where the ends meet. Use a couple zip ties; pull them tight and it will lock the loop. If you desire adjustments, leave them a little looser and you can still slide the bungee. It works surprisingly well.

Bit of a question, where does one acquire inner-tube if they don't have old ones laying around? I don't, and I hesitate to pay a lot for a new one if I'm going to chop it up.

Not sure what your environment is like. I salvage from bike and motorcycle shops. Often free, and they are glad to be a contributor to an interesting story. Inexplicably I also find them discarded on roadways fairly frequently.

I didn't have any inner tubes lying around either, but it was a couple bucks at Walmart so compared with just about everything else in scuba, it was pretty much a non-issue. One inner tube provides a lifetime worth of thick "rubber bands".

Back
Top Bottom