Brand new to nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with above but if you are doing a lot or repititive deeper diving then you may also want to make sure you understand the O2 clock. You can get too much O2 exposure but you have to work on it.

I can vouch from personal experience that nitrox does not make you more intelligent or better looking.
But did you know that before diving on Nitrox?

Hey folks, I'd like to follow up here. I'm a recent nitrox grad, and my air consumption is so high I think it's useless to me, but I still plan to use it on my next divetrip mainly because I want to make sure what I learned gets stuck in my brain.

Two questions, is there any way for me to understand my oxygen exposure over time? I'm told the computer will track that pretty well for me, but I'd like to have a better idea of the whole thing.

Next, is there any tape I can write my MOD on slap on the side of my computer so I have a constant reminder?

Hey folks, I'd like to follow up here. I'm a recent nitrox grad, and my air consumption is so high I think it's useless to me, but I still plan to use it on my next divetrip mainly because I want to make sure what I learned gets stuck in my brain.
Good idea.
Two questions, is there any way for me to understand my oxygen exposure over time? I'm told the computer will track that pretty well for me, but I'd like to have a better idea of the whole thing.
Tables are available. Read the NOAA Dive Manual, Chapter 15. http://tecvault.t101.ro/NOAA Diving Manual.pdf
However, the computer will do fine. Please note on 32% Nitrox (which you will most likely be using) it is nearly impossible to have any problems with your oxygen exposure.
Next, is there any tape I can write my MOD on slap on the side of my computer so I have a constant reminder?
1/2-inch white vinyl tape works fine, with a sharpie.
Your computer will also have an alarm if you get close to your MOD.
Best policy: work out your MOD (planning more on your computer, or from tables), and subtract about 10 ft to get a nice round number. For example, 32% has an MOD of 111 ft; just keep your dives above 100ft. Depending on where you go, you may have a guide/boat limitation to 100 ft anyway.
If you have high air consumption, no point in going that deep....your dive will be short. You use 4 times as much gas at 100 ft as you do at the surface, plus if you are anxious it will be more than 4x.

Hopefully these will help you out.

Nitrox is a Myth

That "Nitrox is a Myth" video is really confusing, especially considering its target audience is newish divers. You might want to consider redo-ing it with enhanced clarification.

Many computers allow you to set a max depth (which could be your mod) and will alarm if you ecxeed it. Or you can set a max PO2 and that will set off an alarm.

As for tracking O2 I ran a couple of profiles when I am being more aggressive and determined I did not have to worry about it for the kind of diving I am currently doing. If I were doing multiday deep diving (which I do not do) I would be more careful. If O2 exposure is an issue then you can use less rich nitrox to help that out.

Actually for me and my diving the max PO2 I might hit is more important than the total O2. Being an older diver (72) I like to keep it at 1.3 or below which is easy since I am doing less deeper diving.

White Vinyl tape. Awesome. That's electrical tape isn't it?

And yes, it does go fast at depth. All this time I've been breathing air like I could have as much as I want! Hard habit to break.

Holy Moly this is a good book! I need to download this thing.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom