Brand new to nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Bonaire all your Nitrox will be 32. It is the standard. You will be required to analyze and at most shops document the actual percentage and the corresponding MOD. The actual mix may vary slightly, generally no lower than 30.5 and I don't recall ever getting a higher percentage. There really is no need to mark the tank but again the dive shops usually have a pen and masking tape if you want to mark it with percentage and MOD. The MOD will vary based on your choice of partial pressure oxygen (ppO2). For recreational diving it is usually set for 1.4.

Diving Calculators

As for your computer, many are set once and forget but some must be reset if any significant time between dives.

Last edited:
@uncfnp There isn't a version of this thing that isn't metric is there?
I tried relinking it in feet but reverts to meter. If you hit the meter button on the bottom it will give you the option for feet.

I must be using it wrong. According to this 32% nitrox hits 1.4PPo2 at 33.78 feet.

I must be using it wrong. According to this 32% nitrox hits 1.4PPo2 at 33.78 feet.
The one I like I can’t find but I found another that seems to be working. I get 111

All the calculators at that link use the metric system, so are in meters. So 33.78 meters = ~111 ft

Guys, THANK YOU!
I mean that, thank you all!

I'm simply going to take the course again...
There is a different LDC not too far from home

I don't mind paying twice for it. It's obvious that I wasn't "getting it" AND I do not want to take money from a LDC.

I really do want to thank you all for your help with this.

Cheers
Phil

Great decision. Effective risk identification and management are essential to safe diving. OTOH, whoever you paid for it originally should be willing to make it right, ethically speaking.

@uncfnp There isn't a version of this thing that isn't metric is there?
The MOD calculator isn't really in metric. They say bar but they mean ATM. The results are both metric and imperial.

OP, regardless of the nitrox course, do you understand how to use a dive computer and what the no decompression time/limit means? (NDL)

Basically, there are 2 things that generally force you to end a dive in normal conditions:

1. Running out of air
2. Too much nitrogen loading up in your tissues which will make surfacing dangerous because of how it bubbles out causing decompression sickness. This applies even on regular air dives and is something you should already be doing.

For most shallow dives and early in the day, beginners will mostly run out of air far before your nitrogen load gets to be too much. However, as you dive deeper, or as you hit your 4th or 5th dive of the day, those nitrogen levels can build up really quickly.

Nitrox is basically a mix that has LESS nitrogen in it than air (which makes the name kind of confusing). This means that while you're underwater your tissues will absorb less of the stuff that can cause problems later.

So, this is a great thing, with one catch: because the mix now has more oxygen in it to make up for the missing nitrogen, you have to limit your depth, because oxygen becomes more toxic at deeper depths. This depth is called your MOD.

Really, you should be able to just punch your air mix level into a computer (32 instead of 21), etc, and just make sure you (1) don't exceed the maximum depth, and (2) keep an eye on the no decompression time, which you should have already been doing anyway!!!

Back
Top Bottom