dumb question (yeah, I know).... but do I need to bring a beach towel??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jontay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I'm headed to Cozumel soon and traveling very light. Going SCUBA diving along with just chillin' on the beach and wandering around the coast between Cancun and Belize.

I have a really dumb question but I have to ask because it affects my packing. Will I find plenty of opportunities to buy an inexpensive beach towel somewhere?

I ask cuz I am traveling super light and my beach towel is taking up too much room in my small pack. So, makes it easier to just buy one there (if cheap) and it'll probably make a cool souvenir also (along with shirts from dive shops, etc.).

muchas graciias.

Hi there,

I'm headed to Cozumel soon and traveling very light. Going SCUBA diving along with just chillin' on the beach and wandering around the coast between Cancun and Belize for a couple of weeks.

I have a really dumb question but I have to ask because it affects my packing. Will I find plenty of opportunities to buy an inexpensive beach towel somewhere?

I ask cuz I am traveling super light and my beach towel is taking up too much room in my small pack. So, makes it easier to just buy one there (if cheap) and it'll probably make a cool souvenir also (along with shirts from dive shops, etc.).

muchas graciias.

We always pack the microfiber towels you can find in the camping section of any sports store. They are thin so will not take up much room. Plus they dry fast.

Hi there,

I'm headed to Cozumel soon and traveling very light. Going SCUBA diving along with just chillin' on the beach and wandering around the coast between Cancun and Belize.

muchas graciias.

Cheap T-shirts, sure (but not from dive shops). Cheap beach towels, not so common in some places but maybe in Playa del Carmen. I never bring a towel for the same reasons and resorts will supply beach towels or sometimes I just take a hand towel from my room but I don't do much sun-bathing. Maybe the Wal-Mart in Playa has cheap beach towels but I probably looked there too.

You could try a microfibre sports towel. The one I have for on the dive boat is the size of a beach towel but weighs almost nothing and squishes up almost to the size of a pop can.
Heads up, the blue one in the hockey section is the same size and thickness as the pink yoga one and 1/2 the price. :)

Small cotton towel (washrag size) for the boat IMO. Blue Angel allows you to check out a beach towel; I suppose others do too.

Not every resort wants their towels on the beach or even at the pool although most I've been to have towels available. Last place I was at in Dominican Republic had a towel exchange where you had to have a towel or towel card. If at checkout, you couldn't provide card, you were charged $35....happened to my buddy's wife.

Agree with @CathyE. We purchased microfiber polyester towels a few years ago which we carry on the plane, as they can act as a blanket if you get cold. They're not the type you get to dry a car, with the fluffy fibers, but more like a chamois. Very compact (folds to about the size of your hand, but probably thinner) and unfold to a good size (they come in different sizes, but ours are maybe 5'x5') and dry quickly. We like the ones we got from our LDS because they came with a small flexible pouch. Put it in my dry bag on the dive boat in case I need a towel. If resort doesn't offer pool/beach towels, then we use ours.

Yes, you can find inexpensive towels with just about anything on them. Can't see bringing a towel back home with me; t-shirts yes! Have fun!

yeah, I have the microfiber, shammy type towel for bathing. I meant more for the hanging on the beach thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom