Cobra 2 issue for you Hendrick @ Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny Wishbone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Heres one for ya Hendrick @ Suunto: I have acquired a Cobra 2 4 button AI computer. Put a new battery in and powers up fine. Set the date and time and scrolled through the dive planning and all was good. Backlight works fine. Hooked it up to tank and all is good. Few days later I played around with it just to get more familiar with it (in the living room, not water). Put it in dive mode and BAM! depth gauge said I was at 318 ft and beeper going off like crazy. Removed and reinstalled battery several times with no change. Depth bounces around from somewhere in the 270 ft range to about the 320 foot range. Im guessing this computer has one of the bad depth sensors I heard so much about. It has not displayed any error codes. Im not the original owner and Im not expecting something for nothing. I do hope to hear this is repairable for a decent price. Please reply.....

This has happened to me with a different model - it had many dives and was out of warranty, local repair shops could not do anything.

I RMA'd it using Suunto's online system and it was confirmed dead, but they did offer me a replacement at a very good price.

Worth a try.......

Hey Suunto are you guys out there anywhere???? Do you even check this site anymore???? I feel like Im standing at the customer service desk and theres no one around even after I rang the little bell.

@Jonny Wishbone

I would also try e-mailing and/or calling, as well as tagging the specific user you are trying to get the attention of. Hopefully, that will get an e-mail notification going or at least a badge when they log in under "Alerts". Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the depth!

Don't hold your breath for SUUNTO to respond to this problem. Cobra computers have a depth sensor issue and SUUNTO doesn't want to acknowledge it.

Yeah thats what it seems like. I wonder if the depth sensor in the Cobra is the same sensors that were used in the Atomic Cobalt back when they had a "bad batch" of sensors from their vendor. My understanding is that it is a common sensor that many other computers use. One of the problems with outsourcing a product as a company is there is too much involved with sending it back to the factory where it is made where the parts are abundant so they just say is is not repairable. It is cheaper, easier and faster for them to gouge me for a new one than it is to pay a tech full time to fix them. Its a bean counting thing. I'd put money on that alot of this computer is made in china and not all of it comes from Finland. How much of an American made car is actually made in America. Like I said in my original post, Im not looking for anything free, I would just like to have it repaired for a decent price. Funny thing is I still have an old Solution (my first dive computer) and a Companion (for the wife) that work just fine. Just like the old cars are better made. We must not forget that "New and Improved" means that someone found a cheaper way to make something. Its ok if they don't respond, after all, this is scuba diving and we are taught to never hold our breath. There are 5 Suunto computers in my family household. As they crap out they will be replaced by different computers. I know and accept the fact that all products will have their fare share of issues but it is Customer service that depicts a companies connection to its customers. People just don't want to hear that their car cannot be fixed, so just scrap it and buy a new one.

Yeah thats what it seems like. I wonder if the depth sensor in the Cobra is the same sensors that were used in the Atomic Cobalt back when they had a "bad batch" of sensors from their vendor. My understanding is that it is a common sensor that many other computers use. One of the problems with outsourcing a product as a company is there is too much involved with sending it back to the factory where it is made where the parts are abundant so they just say is is not repairable. It is cheaper, easier and faster for them to gouge me for a new one than it is to pay a tech full time to fix them. Its a bean counting thing. I'd put money on that alot of this computer is made in china and not all of it comes from Finland. How much of an American made car is actually made in America. Like I said in my original post, Im not looking for anything free, I would just like to have it repaired for a decent price. Funny thing is I still have an old Solution (my first dive computer) and a Companion (for the wife) that work just fine. Just like the old cars are better made. We must not forget that "New and Improved" means that someone found a cheaper way to make something. Its ok if they don't respond, after all, this is scuba diving and we are taught to never hold our breath. There are 5 Suunto computers in my family household. As they crap out they will be replaced by different computers. I know and accept the fact that all products will have their fare share of issues but it is Customer service that depicts a companies connection to its customers. People just don't want to hear that their car cannot be fixed, so just scrap it and buy a new one.

I'm definitely not looking for something free, I am however looking for SUUNTO and other SCUBA manufacturers to do the right thing and acknowledge a problem when one exists. A reputably manufactured computer should not fail in less than 100 dives! (in my case) And it makes it more frustrating when I have an original Suunto Solution that works perfectly!

Suunto used to be a product you could count on and that had exemplary customer service/support. Now not so much.

And you see that on this site. How many times does a SUUNTO representative add or reply to posts. VERY INFREQUENTLY!

Its all very sad...

Back
Top Bottom