SDI and Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question: Does SDI not cover tables in the Open Water course or is it left up to the instructor whether they would like to train students on them or not.

Thanks.

CS

I did SDI both for OW and Nitrox. We went over tables. (My instructor was also a tech instructor and friend). I am a curious sort and he liked to talk, we went over lots of stuff beyond the minimum. We also went over tables in Nitrox. I really liked the SDI dive tables since they allow for mixes other than just 32 or 36 so I got a copy and added a couple rows for lower PO2 at 1.3 and 1.2 since I like to keep the PO2 down. (This was before I got a MOD app for my cell phone). When I actually dived I use my computer. But for dive planning and asking if a certain combination of dives with a certain mix were reasonable I would use the tables. They are still in my carry on the boat bag.

Thanks guys. So when you say Tables are up to the instructor, does that mean they are not included in the SDI Open Water manual and instructors who teach them have to bring their own printed tables? Or does that mean there are pages dedicated to them and the instructors have the option of skipping them?

There are no tables in the SDI OW course, written stuff, Standards, or instructor presentation material.
You don't get tables until Divemaster.
Of course, an instructor may choose to add them in, but it is supplementary material and not required for certification.

Actually I found my manual "Training manual for scuba diving" which I got as part of my OW course. There are no questions on tables in the tests. But there is an Appendix. It has the navy dive Tables on pp 82 -87 with worked out examples and discussion. Copoyright 1991.

For Nitrox I got the "Easy Nitrox Diving". On pages 62 it discusses the SDI tables. You find the EAD for mixes all the way from 21% to 40% for depths from 9 to 140 ft. Also has MOD at 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 for the same range of O2 %. This is the table I got a copy of. Other side is like the usual PADI or NAVY table.

So they may have changed the training material but when I took the courses there were tables in the training manuals.

Actually I found my manual "Training manual for scuba diving" which I got as part of my OW course. There are no questions on tables in the tests. But there is an Appendix. It has the navy dive Tables on pp 82 -87 with worked out examples and discussion. Copoyright 1991.

For Nitrox I got the "Easy Nitrox Diving". On pages 62 it discusses the SDI tables. You find the EAD for mixes all the way from 21% to 40% for depths from 9 to 140 ft. Also has MOD at 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 for the same range of O2 %. This is the table I got a copy of. Other side is like the usual PADI or NAVY table.

So they may have changed the training material but when I took the courses there were tables in the training manuals.
That's pretty old training material! I've only kept my files fact to 2007, and there are no tables in OW then, and no Easy Nitrox course.

I also did my nitrox class with SDI. My instructor didn't know the tables for nitrox it was horrible. It was the same place I took my Open Water class and they didn't talk about tables at all. I'm not saying that's normal because I also did my Advanced open water in the same dive shop and it was also horrible. I really didn't learn anything. Needless to say I left that dive shop and took my business somewhere else. I'm currently learning Advanced nitrox and decompression procedures at a different shop. I am finally learning the tables. So like other people have said I think it's all about the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom