Panama City, FL charter advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AOW dives are individually 'adventure dives' (at least in PADI parlance). There's no requirement that you complete all 5 with the same instructor / shop (although it's much easier that way and you'll save money).

The Deep dive is the only one that can't be done properly at Vortex or Morrison and is best done from a boat in this area. In June, it'd be rare for the gulf to be un-divable for more than a few days at a time.

AOW dives are individually 'adventure dives' (at least in PADI parlance). There's no requirement that you complete all 5 with the same instructor / shop (although it's much easier that way and you'll save money).

The Deep dive is the only one that can't be done properly at Vortex or Morrison and is best done from a boat in this area. In June, it'd be rare for the gulf to be un-divable for more than a few days at a time.
Good to know. Thnx again.

On the tank front, do yourself a favor and get a steel 100. It'll give you nearly 25% more gas than an Al 80. It's about the same weight on land as an AL80, but 5 lbs heavier in the water, which means 5 lbs off your weight belt.

On the tank front, do yourself a favor and get a steel 100. It'll give you nearly 25% more gas than an Al 80. It's about the same weight on land as an AL80, but 5 lbs heavier in the water, which means 5 lbs off your weight belt.
Appreciate it. I might end up doing that i believe that is what we used in our OW class.

The main reason i thought about the Al80 was cost, and less mainteance?? Your thoughts. I probably wont use too much but i still would like one. Im in EMS and would like to progress to our local dive team eventually.

@KubaTimbo, yes, the only real downside to a steel tank is the upfront cost. They run about twice what an AL80 costs. As far as maintenance goes, it's pretty much the same. Sure a steel tank can potentially rust, but just give it a good rinse and soaking after your dives and you're good to go. The annual VIP and 5 year hydro is the same for AL and steel. If you're going to do two-tank charter boat dives, then you'll want two. Switching between a steel and AL tank (e.g. a shop's rental tank) between dives would suck, because you'll have to readjust your weighting for the two dives. Again, downside is up front cost of two steel tanks. Alternatively, look on Craig's list or here in the SB classifieds, you can often find good deals on used steel tanks.

@KubaTimbo, yes, the only real downside to a steel tank is the upfront cost. They run about twice what an AL80 costs. As far as maintenance goes, it's pretty much the same. Sure a steel tank can potentially rust, but just give it a good rinse and soaking after your dives and you're good to go. The annual VIP and 5 year hydro is the same for AL and steel. If you're going to do two-tank charter boat dives, then you'll want two. Switching between a steel and AL tank (e.g. a shop's rental tank) between dives would suck, because you'll have to readjust your weighting for the two dives. Again, downside is up front cost of two steel tanks. Alternatively, look on Craig's list or here in the SB classifieds, you can often find good deals on used steel tanks.
Grt thnx again

If you decide to buy tanks, steel HP100's are ideal for all-around diving unless you are very short or light of frame. More air + less buoyancy is a winning combination and if you're doing any sort of public safety diving, you'll likely be in a dry suit where reducing the weight required is important. For gulf of mexico diving, HP100's are just about right for most 60 - 100' dives on NITROX to provide plenty of air to reach NDL times and make a safe ascent (once your breathing rate settles out). Everyone that I know who dives regularly here owns one or more sets of HP100's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom