Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our first trip to Raja had 88kgs of stuff in 4 bags. Never again. About ten trips to Indo later, it is now 54kgs plus carryons.

1) Two full sets of gear, plus spares, tool kit and some clothing in a a large duffel at <20kgs.
2) Two hard shell rollers at <3kgs empty each.

If not for photo/video gear, it would really easy.

We reworked a few things and next time for me (in kgs):

Roller bag: 4.2
BDC + wing: 4.2
Wetsuit: 2.0
Boot + fin: 4.0
Regs + bag: 4.3 (two regs, one for pony)
Essentials: 2.4
Pony tank + valve: 8.2
Camera: 4.3

TOTAL: 29.3 + camera

Emily's is under 21.3 kgs. We can move stuff around and use carry-ons to get it all under Garuda's 23 kg limit ... in theory :)

I plan to take the sidemount class, but you really can't do negative entry with sidemount so the pony will still be part of our gear.

- Bill

Emily's is under 21.3 kgs. We can move stuff around and use carry-ons to get it all under Garuda's 23 kg limit ... in theory :)
You don't need your dive equipment to be less than 23 kgs.... Garuda weighs the total of your bags every kilo over 23kg is accounted as per your regular checkin and vice versa.
You should rather think 43 kgs altogether and balance your bags.

You don't need your dive equipment to be less than 23 kgs.... Garuda weighs the total of your bags every kilo over 23kg is accounted as per your regular checkin and vice versa.

Good point. 43 kgs per person, plus carry-on, which in my experience they don't check much.

Good point. 43 kgs per person (because you are allowed 20kgs of regular luggage), plus carry-on, which in my experience they don't check much.

Actually even on our last trip where we had 96 kgs total (gulp) we had quite a few flights with no extra charges, especially on Garuda. But sometimes they really nailed us. Other airlines generally charged us.

- Bill

That’s why I try to fly with Garuda as much as possible. Sometimes I have 2 carryon backyards on my chess & back :)

I plan to take the sidemount class, but you really can't do negative entry with sidemount so the pony will still be part of our gear.

- Bill

I'm lost. Why can't I splash negatively weighted in side mount? What benefit will the pony provide in such a situation?

Do you by chance know if I can do a negative entry with two sidemount Al-80s?

- Bill

Yes, I have done that. If space on the boat is limited, or it's too heavy to set up both tanks and jump in, what I would do is hook up my left tank (so attach LPI hose, reg in my mouth) and jump in just holding the right tank in my hand. As you descend you can clip on the right tank and deploy the long hose. By the time you reach the bottom you should be all set up!

I'm lost. Why can't I splash negatively weighted in side mount? What benefit will the pony provide in such a situation?

I can (and have done) a negative entry with a pony and backmount.

I do not think I can do a negative entry with two sidemounted AL80's. FindingMenno says he does, but it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe after I take the class I'll see a safe way.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom