Cancun to playa del Carmen shuttle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone suggest a reliable private shuttle service from cancun to playa del Carmen to catch the ferry to cozumel... been reading reviews that people and reserved shuttles and there no where to be found once they arrive at the airport....

I have used Playa del Carmen Airport Transfers
and I found them to be excellent! They will be waiting outside customs with a sign and your name on it. It is $52.50 for the private van for as many as 8 people. That is total cost- not a per person cost. Booked everything online and everything went smooth and easy. Upon return from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, they will also be waiting as you come off of the ferry with a sign and your name on it and walk you to the air-conditioned van and off you go.

I agree with @JahJahwarrior, the first time we landed in Cancun we got the 'shuttle', cost us $80 for 2. The ADO, cost us maybe $10 a person, was super clean, smooth and reliable. We use it for everything when we're there now unless we hire a car.

This might get more attention in the Cozumel forum. Anyway, if you do a search there, you can find recommendations for shuttle vans. Some recommendations I recall seeing in the Cozumel forum are along the lines of "Email Jose and tell him I recommended him to you. He picks me up every trip and has a cold beer waiting for me." I don't recall who we used, but that's where I got the recommendation. (And yes, he had cold beer for the four of us.)

This has been a periodic thread on the Cozumel forum.
CV chief recommends:
Jose Marino Hernandes
American Transfers Cancun
Mobile: (998) 201-1720 (MX)
E-mail:
forsale_jose@hotmail.com

I have used
Transfers USA America
Mobile (011 52 1) 998 346 0285

The standard pricing for either (verified in November) for 1-4 pax was $45 USD 5-9 $65. These are two I am familiar with but there are others. Both of these operators will stop at a OXXO or 7/11 if you want to pick up soda's or cervesas enroute. This is the quoted price but it is negotiable but normally needs to be set up at least a few hours before you get to the airport. Both outfits use the WhatsApp voice/messaging applications for primary communications, like the majority small business and individuals I have found outside the USA.
I have voice and data (TMobile / free) in Mexico and most other mobile providers have add on plans for Mexico now, which is very helpful in coordinating at the airport.
I also often use the ADO but the transit time has creeped up to about an hour and twenty minutes from terminal 3 to Playa and if I am travelling late they get Playa about 15 minutes after the top of the hour and the ferries leave on the hour. The Van trips run about 50 minutes and I can catch an evening ferry.
I usually exchange a selfi with the van driver and do not have a problem meeting up.

Last edited:
We have used USA Transfers more than once - top of the price point but no issues with the service.

Last time we did the bag drag we used a CARM shuttle. Private van for 2 of us. Great service and price.

I remember way back in the day, when you had to take one of the hotel shuttles to downtown Cancun, and get dropped at the bus station, then wait on their regularly scheduled trip down to Playa. I did this humping lots of baggage and usually another boxed bicycle, more times than i can recall,LOL!!
Man, what a break it was when they finally started running directly from the airport !

Agree with JahJah on ADO. I believe the stand and the bus are just outside Terminal 2. Exit the terminal and walk about 40 yards to a slight right. The bus will make stops at T1 and T3 if you arrive at one of those The Playa station is 100 yards or so from the dock - a taxi cannot get you any closer. If you do not want to risk a wait, I have used Canada Transfers. They may be a little higher but they have been reliable. Last month, we were on the road 10 minutes after I walked out of the terminal. Plus you can preorder beer/soda/snacks for the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom