Can you share what you're using for weight belt systems on heavy undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

211ratsbud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Curious to see what people are using for heavy undergarments and weight belt systems. What's best suited? IIRC I need about 20lbs with no kit on to stay down. Maybe slightly less, xm450 under and clx450 suit.

We generally use a mix of hard weight and ditchable. That can be heavy tanks, trim pouches on the tank bands, backplate, custom spine weights or pockets. This combined with quick release integrated weights, weight belts or a weight harness.

Insuring adequate lift and the ability to ditch enough to get buoyant is important. Otherwise scatter the weights on the gear as needed to trim out and be comfortable.

Maybe this is too vague, but it's what I've seen over the last couple dozen cold water divers.

Regards,
Cameron

I have a set of dive rite weight pockets on my harness, and trim pockets on a cam band. Need about 18lbs with 450 top and bottoms, single steel tank.

(I carry a -2lb negative canister light on all dives)

For single tank I have 3 weight pouches and 2 steel plates that screw onto my steel backplate and I dive steel tanks.

For doubles I have a v weights and weight pouches.

For sidemount I have more weight pouches distributed around and a weight pack on my sms75 and steel tanks.

For ccr rebreather I have a custom frame that when combined with some weight pouches gets the job done.

For scr rebreather I have weight plates with pouches and steel tanks and steel backplate. (this one is the hardest to get right because my scr requires all of the weight from single tank + an additional 6lbs)

Twin Steel 15litre cylinders :)

Santi BZ400x and Santi Elite.
For fresh water and D12, I use a 2,7 kg steel backplate and 3 kg V-weight (I am a big fan of rail-based modular systems like the one below).
For salt water, I require 7 kg, and tend to carry everything on the rail as well. It might be a marginally safer solution to carry the extra 4 kg on a belt, but I find this awfully inconvenient as I often need to use multiple battery canisters. I think having the redundancy of the suit and wing on separate posts is provides a sufficient safety margin.

V-Weight - BerTec Solutions

Norcal cold water.

Single steel, SS backplate, can light, heavy fins. About 7lbs on a 7/8 wet, 10 or so on the dry.

Doubles almost nothing on the dry, just a few pounds. About 5lbs near the butt

Edit: System is just a 5lb weight pockets on my harness, 3 lbs on my canister side and 4 on the other..For doubles v weight and a couple pounds on my non canister side. I can feel just the weight of the canister wants me to roll. FWIW: Apparently I spent most of my diving career over weighted until I took GUE Fundamentals. Many hours of weight and gas control has paid off immensely.

Last edited:
At home, I use a regular weightbelt with BZ400 with 12 pounds with twin steel 80s, or no extra lead at all with twin 130s. (Great Lakes, fresh water).

I dive out west for a week or two every year, so single steel 100. There I use the DUI weight harness with 38 pounds... Best investment ever. I use the BZ 400 there, but add a light sweatshirt as we are doing repeat dives, and generally we are there in the fall when the air is chilly too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom