Why Come to Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could anyone consider a selfish reason for me to post this. I'm telling my own customers to stay away!

Dave

Is that because Aldora is already booked up for this January? That actually was the first thing that came to mind when I read your #1 post.

Christi pointed out the days when the port has been closed in January, for the last 5 years. That really doesn't jive with you trying to dissuade people from diving Coz during this time period. Sure, some people have had bad experiences but with such a limited number of closures, it can't be that many. I've never missed a January dive due to poor conditions. December is irrelevant... because... YOU started this thread and the topic is January.... Well, up until the point where Christi dropped some facts, and then you jumped to December.

I've never met you, and have only dove with Aldora a handful of times (mostly good experiences, with the exception of everyone having to come up together based upon the weakest breathing link), but some of the posts you've made in the last few years come across (at least to me) as having an agenda = obviously promoting your business, while subtly belittling other Ops on the Island. That is fine if it stays within SB's rules, but a thread like this just doesn't come across as very altruistic, especially when you look at actual port closures... and then you making comments about Christi (and other smaller operations) having to "sit on the beach" while your operation has the ability to dive the other side.. With "2 boats", and "complete safety gear"... As if other 'lesser' Ops aren't equipped with "complete safety gear"... Condescending much?

Nothing new, of course.. Sort of reminds me of the thread you started about the "Sleaze in Cozumel" = your thoughts on other dive Ops back in 2012.
Sleaze in Cozumel

With "2 boats", and "complete safety gear"... As if other 'lesser' Ops aren't equipped with "complete safety gear"... Condescending much?

Without getting into the other stuff, I think this point was made specifically in reference to diving on the east side, where there are virtually no land-based facilities and help is far away. And he was comparing it to having seen over there a bunch of divers in what appeared to be an ill-equipped fisherman's boat. And who knows, it may not have even been a shop that hired the boat but a group of divers who found a fisherman on their own and said hey amigo can you take us to a reef for $100usd.

I’m not sure what he had in mind, but surely other ops are aware of this.

He may be thinking of boosters who sometimes shout down or minimize any criticism of the island. For the most part, those tend to be people with no investment beyond the emotional.

I love to be here in January, but I don’t mind if I don’t dive. We got 3 very nice days in last week, might get a few more next week or might not. I have plenty to do without diving. If i needed to dive as much as possible, now would not be the time to be here.

I wore a jacket today, though not a parka. A few days ago it was slightly warmer in New Hampshire (during the “January thaw”) than it was here. With lots of wind, it can get pretty uncomfortable, and hardly anyone has heat so it can be unpleasant even if you’re cold-adapted.

The Coz 'Jihadis' come out in force to defend the faith in times like this, be it due to blind emotional attachment or vested business interests. The main point is don't risk going to Coz in the Winter...I did a Feb trip many years ago and got completely blown out as well, so if it were me, I'd avoid more than just the month of January, I'd avoid winter and some of spring too, I'd not try until April at the earliest, probably no sooner than May, when the El Nortes are really done.

Isn’t it ironic that their high season is December to April, exactly when the Nortes are most prevalent? And when there are direct flights into CZM from my neck of the woods?

:shakehead:

We’ve gone the last 2 Christmas/Newyrs weeks and had pretty good luck. Got flights and condo booked already for this Christmas/Newyrs 2018/19. A Norte in Coz doesn’t have a wind chill of -28c

Ok it's 13F in DFW right now :( and it does not appear that Cozumel will have a Norte this weekend:). I think I'll risk it and go diving this weekend in Cozumel:D

Is that because Aldora is already booked up for this January? That actually was the first thing that came to mind when I read your #1 post.

Christi pointed out the days when the port has been closed in January, for the last 5 years. That really doesn't jive with you trying to dissuade people from diving Coz during this time period. Sure, some people have had bad experiences but with such a limited number of closures, it can't be that many. I've never missed a January dive due to poor conditions. December is irrelevant... because... YOU started this thread and the topic is January.... Well, up until the point where Christi dropped some facts, and then you jumped to December.

I've never met you, and have only dove with Aldora a handful of times (mostly good experiences, with the exception of everyone having to come up together based upon the weakest breathing link), but some of the posts you've made in the last few years come across (at least to me) as having an agenda = obviously promoting your business, while subtly belittling other Ops on the Island. That is fine if it stays within SB's rules, but a thread like this just doesn't come across as very altruistic, especially when you look at actual port closures... and then you making comments about Christi (and other smaller operations) having to "sit on the beach" while your operation has the ability to dive the other side.. With "2 boats", and "complete safety gear"... As if other 'lesser' Ops aren't equipped with "complete safety gear"... Condescending much?

Nothing new, of course.. Sort of reminds me of the thread you started about the "Sleaze in Cozumel" = your thoughts on other dive Ops back in 2012.
Sleaze in Cozumel

No, Aldora is not booked up in January, not one day.

Dave

The Coz 'Jihadis' come out in force to defend the faith in times like this, be it due to blind emotional attachment or vested business interests.
As I said in another thread recently, I see far many more comments in here like yours than I see posts like you are complaining about. Sure, folks in here are mostly Cozumel enthusiasts (it is a Cozumel forum, after all), and disparaging remarks, i.e., "Cozumel diving sucks" and "all the Cozumel reefs are dead", will draw comments that disagree, but to attempt to invalidate them by calling the posters jihadists, blind, or mercenary is disingenuous. Some of us actually like going to Cozumel in the wintertime. Go figure.

Last edited:
The Coz 'Jihadis' come out in force to defend the faith in times like this, be it due to blind emotional attachment or vested business interests.

This is really funny. All I did was post some factual data with no position on the matter at all - just factual data for people to use as they wish.

Seriously? How moronic do you think us Scubaboarders are? It was clear from the beginning of this thread that you would parlay and manipulate the whole scenario into a prop for your business. I love using Scubaboard as a tool for researching destinations and gleaming from other peoples experience. However I cannot stand when people use it as a free vehicle for their advertising campaign. A lot of your posts are somewhat milquetoast and subtle. This one on the other hand is about as subtle as a personal injury lawyer's face plastered on the side of a city bus. If you feel it was so benign, why on numerous counts did you edit your original comment about Christi and all other dive ops?
Chill pill, please. Dave is simply proud of his business operations and is sharing what extents he goes to. He actually holds back here. Some of us know more about what he has done to keep up quality & safety than he shares here. I've never dove with his Op or met him, but it'd be my pleasure to do so sometime.

Isn’t it ironic that their high season is December to April, exactly when the Nortes are most prevalent? And when there are direct flights into CZM from my neck of the woods?

:shakehead:
As brutal as winter is in some parts of the mainland US, it's just all too tempting to want to escape for some tropical weather - even tho it's not really endless summer in Coz. It was frigid across much of Texas again last night, but at least we know that it won't stay that way for weeks here like it does some places. I used to go for winter getaways to the tropics, but got tired of winter travel problems and dive location blow outs. This year I'm hunkering down at home November thru February, not returning to my wanderlust in March.

So the port is closed again today? At least no earthquakes and tsunami warnings like a few weeks ago. No one brought that up here did they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom