Tiger Mantis Shrimp Hunting and catch a fish!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw an interesting documentary on this last night. Natgeo I believe.

Awesome, unless you are the fish! I just finished teaching a section in my animal communication course on mantis shrimp vision, this made my day!

They are amazing. their vision, speed and power to weight ratio is at the edge of the animal world's most extreme examples. Their speed is so fast that it creates cavitation that generates a small flash of light at the moment of the strike.

Giant mantis shrimp.

Be careful of such mantis shrimps. They could be very protective with their territories. After I took the picture below, I tried to get closer for a better close-up picture / angle from the front. All of sudden I heard “POW”. It launched & flicked its arms onto my strobe. Luckily no damage found. Imagine had it flicked its arms on my face, it would have been a disaster.

dm1827048.jpg

Be careful of such mantis shrimps. They could be very protective with their territories. After I took the picture below, I tried to get closer for a better close-up picture / angle from the front. All of sudden I heard “POW”. It launched & flicked its arms onto my strobe. Luckily no damage found. Imagine had it flicked its arms on my face, it would have been a disaster.
There's a reason they're known as thumbsplitters. It could just as easily have gone for one of the hands holding the camera as the strobe...

Back
Top Bottom