Biggest thing killing dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been convinced that, in general, if conditions allow a race to the bottom then people will gladly do it to save a few bucks. And then bitch about how things suck these days.
A million likes to you, sir.

If you are going to make service your selling point, you had better make sure that your service is pretty darned good.
Exactly.

The company that scoops my dog poop provides better customer service than most dive shops:
  • They do what they say they're going to do, when they say they're going to do it.
  • They bill me accurately and communicate any delays or changes in service.
  • They encourage me to report any issues and promise that they'll resolve them within 24 hours.
  • They have one billing policy that may seem goofy, but they provide an in-depth explanation for why they do it that way.
  • They offer various incentives and discounts to maintain their competitive edge.
  • When my elder dog died and I changed service down to one dog, I received a personalized and signed condolence card from the staff.
  • I get a regular customer survey asking how they're doing, and they follow up with a personalized call if you rate them anything less than excellent.
Compared to the average dive shop, where there's always something off. Had a shop tell me this past weekend they needed to keep my hand-written credit card information on file for 7 years for "liability purposes". Stored, of course, in an unlocked filing cabinet with what looked like hundreds of others.

/facepalm.

So now I either get to argue with another dive shop owner, or just cancel that card. Probably easiest to do the latter.

Exactly.

The company that scoops my dog poop provides better customer service than most dive shops:
  • They do what they say they're going to do, when they say they're going to do it.
  • They encourage me to report any issues and promise that they'll resolve them within 24 hours.
  • They have one billing policy that may seem goofy, but they provide an in-depth explanation for why they do it that way.
  • They offer various incentives and discounts to maintain their competitive edge.
  • When my elder dog died and I changed service down to one dog, I received a personalized and signed condolence card from the staff.
  • I get a regular customer survey asking how they're doing, and they follow up with a personalized call if you rate them anything less than excellent.
Compared to the average dive shop, where there's always something off. Had a shop tell me this past weekend they needed to keep my hand-written credit card information on file for 7 years for "liability purposes". Stored, of course, in an unlocked filing cabinet with what looked like hundreds of others.

/facepalm.

So now I either get to argue with another dive shop owner, or just cancel that card. Probably easiest to do the latter.
Ummm. I need to keep your credit card information on file for 7 years too. In fact, we all do, so if you could just post it up, that would be great.

Exactly.

/facepalm.

Dive shops sure do lots of bizarre things (when compared to any other retail store). This one must have felt they didn't have enough liability and they needed some extra. I'm pretty sure liability insurance doesn't cover theft of PCI data if it's not encrypted, and of course a piece of paper with the number in plain text is not encrypted.

Luckily most credit card companies are good about protecting customers. Most will overnight you a replacement card due to something like this. Of course you've got the hassle of updating any subscription services attached to that card... Most credit card companies have your back if your card gets compromised because of a negligent retailer like you are dealing with.

Last edited:
Up until a few weeks ago, we had three dive shops in town. Two of them had originally been one business, until the two partners in the business had a falling out and went their separate ways. The one partner kept the original location, while the other kept the original name. One of those two closed last month.

I lost any desire to do business with either of the two, as both former partners boasted about how they were screwing over the other in the split. One was gleeful that the court settlement awarded him all the shop assets, and that without said assets, the other guy was screwed. The other guy was gleeful that he hid away quite a few of the assets so that his former partner couldn't get them in the settlement. Both boasting to someone who was a customer in the store, and beforehand, had no idea what was going on between them.

Meanwhile, our regular "home" LDS never badmouthed either one, but just focused on taking care of their customers and running their own business to the best of their ability.

Incidentally, I heard that the one shop owner that recently closed up, blamed our regular LDS owner for putting him out of business. I hate to see any small, local business go under, but in this case, I can only think that the failing business has only itself to blame. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was put-off by the gloating attitude.

Up until a few weeks ago, we had three dive shops in town. Two of them had originally been one business, until the two partners in the business had a falling out and went their separate ways. The one partner kept the original location, while the other kept the original name. One of those two closed last month.

I lost any desire to do business with either of the two, as both former partners boasted about how they were screwing over the other in the split. One was gleeful that the court settlement awarded him all the shop assets, and that without said assets, the other guy was screwed. The other guy was gleeful that he hid away quite a few of the assets so that his former partner couldn't get them in the settlement. Both boasting to someone who was a customer in the store, and beforehand, had no idea what was going on between them.

Meanwhile, our regular "home" LDS never badmouthed either one, but just focused on taking care of their customers and running their own business to the best of their ability.

Incidentally, I heard that the one shop owner that recently closed up, blamed our regular LDS owner for putting him out of business. I hate to see any small, local business go under, but in this case, I can only think that the failing business has only itself to blame. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was put-off by the gloating attitude.

Just another dive store gone already this year.

Good to know you have a good "home" LDS in Tucson.

As I recall, you Tucson area divers often get out to So. Cal, for some nice boat trips,
and south to Mexico as well.

Just another dive store gone already this year.

Good to know you have a good "home" LDS in Tucson.

As I recall, you Tucson area divers often get out to So. Cal, for some nice boat trips,
and south to Mexico as well.
Tuscon. Tusconites were diving in San Carlos before the rest of the Americans found it. I have made that long trek down route 15....

The first time we got hit with the special "Outboard Motor" tax. The dumbass driving asked for a receipt.

Reactions: mdb
I did not know (some, all?) dive shops keep paper (or electronic) credit card data 7 years. Most (if not all) other places I deal with regularly say I must give the card info. each time I call them, after I say "same card as last time". I don't even know if our shop here does that. Interesting. What is the purpose of keeping that info. Actually, we do have a place or two (gov't. & private) that bill our card monthly and keep the card data, and some that debit our bank account monthly and keep that info. But a dive shop wouldn't be billing anyone monthly I would assume. What happens after 7 years then you get an Air fill--they keep it another 7 years?

Last edited:
I did not know (some, all?) dive shops keep paper (or electronic) credit card data 7 years. Most (if not all) other places I deal with regularly say I must give the card info. each time I call them, after I say "same card as last time". I don't even know if our shop here does that. Interesting. What is the purpose of keeping that info. Actually, we do have a place or two (gov't. & private) that bill our card monthly and keep the card data, and some that debit our bank account monthly and keep that info. But a dive shop wouldn't be billing anyone monthly I would assume. What happens after 7 years then you get an Air fill--they keep it another 7 years?
You need to get their policy in writing. Electronically would be best. Then forward it to fraud prevention at your credit card company.

Back
Top Bottom