Beginner diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashley1989

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am coming to Coz beginning of March. I know you have been asked to give recommendations before on dive ops, but I am interested to know who would be best to look into for a beginner solo diver, I need someone patient and laid back(I don't like being rushed) and safety minded (I have 8 dives, Adventure diver) I am comfortable with buoyancy but I am not a strong swimmer (I can swim long distances but I am very slow) . I have heard good things Palancar reef, is there any other dives I should look to going on or avoid? My last question is in March can I book when I arrive or will every single good place be sold out? I like meeting the dive ops before I book, but I don't know how busy it is in March.

Thanks for your time! :)

Plenty to choose from...do your homework like hitting the search button up top. You may want to hire your own DM for the first few dives.....most dive ops have predetermined dive sites ahead of time. Sometimes, depending on the boat, last minute consensus changes can occur.

Hey Ashley! You are going to LOVE Cozumel.

It might help too if you tell us where you are staying.

I would avoid Devil's Throat. It is a swim-through that comes out around 100' and is more of an "I did it" dive rather than "super cool" IMO. I have been to Cozumel many times, never interested me enough to go try it.

You might ask about diving the wreck there (C-53 I think?). It's a neat dive but sometimes currents can be strong. I got lucky and there was almost no current when I dove it.

If you're asking about the feasibility of waiting until you arrive in Cozumel to book your diving, I think that's risky. Most people book in advance to ensure the dive op will have space for them. Moreover, since ideally you would like them to put you on a boat with other beginners, they may need time to plan for that. Book in advance.

If you look through the posts where others have asked for dive op recommendations, you will see there are four or five dive ops that people on SB seem to recommend over and over. You can't go wrong with any of those. (That doesn't mean that others are not as good; rather, that the same names pop up here again and again is probably due to what some people have referred to as the "echo chamber effect" of an Internet forum, whether SB, Tripadvisor or any other.)

Any of those often-recommended dive ops will be glad to cater to your beginner level if you make sure they are aware. So, when making your initial inquiry with them, be sure to tell them you are a beginner. Ask if they group divers by level. When you arrive in Cozumel and check in with the dive op, make sure to tell them again. When you get on the boat and are introduced to the divemaster, it doesn't hurt to remind the divemaster. They will generally do everything they can to ensure you go to dive sites that are appropriate for your level. You don't have to dictate dive sites by name to them--trust that they know what sites will suit your level. Don't worry!

Lastly, I highly recommend you tell the dive op you would like to hire a private divemaster. It is common for beginners to hire a private divemaster. Not only will you have a dedicated buddy, but the divemaster will be sure to point out cool stuff to you during the dive.

Have fun!

At 8 dives, and solo, I would seriously consider hiring a private DM on Cozumel. If you're following a group, you may feel rushed and the group DM will not be able to pay as much attention to you. With a private DM, it's all about you. They are worth their weight in gold.

Rather than being concerned with which sites you should ask for, I think the better idea is to just let the DM know how deep you're comfortable with going and let the DM/captain/consensus of the boat decide. A reputable shop will not disappoint you. I doubt a reputable shop will even consider taking you to Devil's Throat, but at least that's a site you know you don't want to go to, at least not yet. :wink:

As others have said, any reputable dive op won't take you to on difficult dives as long as you let the op know your experience level. With only 8 dives logged, going solo, diving in a new place, and probably new to drift diving it would be best to hire a private DM for at least your first day of diving or until you feel comfortable. I don't care how many dives someone has logged, every time one rolls or jumps off a boat somewhere they've never been they have a level of anxiety but that anxiety generally vanishes after a few minutes. If I were to guess after your first day with a private DM you probably won't feel the need for one the next day as you'll have a good feel for the drift, more confidence and less anxiety.

A private DM will cost you about $55 for the day (2 tank boat dive) and enjoying the luxury of a private DM is like enjoying the luxury of having a personal limo driver. Furthermore, personal DM's are really happy to land that job as it is so much easier than dealing with a group and they have time to really put their skills on display finding all kinds of cool critters just for you. I've personally been guilty of keeping an eye on people who hired a private DM as I like to see what their DM finds when he's on the hunt for critters (and generally hanging shallower with new divers) where we like to hang for photography as it's brighter and the color is so much better.

I'd also recommend a dive op that uses small boats 6-10 divers. Not a cattle boat op. Private DM or not it's best to be the newest diver in a small group of experienced divers than one in a group of 20 who plan to dive one day of their trip then rent dune buggies, swim with captive dolphins, go parasailing, followed by a day at the spa and then a tequila tour... Just my opinion. Also, when you no longer feel the need for a private DM, diving from a small boat will pretty much leave you with a personal DM as more experienced divers tend to like small groups and boats so they can venture out on their own a bit and dive their own profiles. That leaves you with pretty much a personal DM if you chose to hang close to him.

I've been diving Coz for 15 years now and have been diving with Tres Pelicanos the past 4 years. They certainly would be able to cater to your needs but as others have stated, there are several top quality dive ops in Cozumel that have virtual cult followings here. All would deliver great dive experiences. It's probably more of a matter of where you're staying and which one offers the most convenient pick-up/drop-off/transport.

I'll edit and add another comment to address your statement that you're not a strong swimmer. Well, no one is a strong swimmer loaded with dive gear! There is a reason DM's and captains tell divers before every dive, "Don't try to swim to the boat after surfacing - the boat will come to you". It is way easier to gently fin your way along underwater than to try and reach a boat after surfacing kicking away. One of the best things about Coz is the gentle current pretty much takes you on a tour all by itself with minimal effort... All you have to do is go along for the ride and if you see something cool you turn around and fin against the current it a bit.

Last edited:
I would avoid Devil's Throat. It is a swim-through that comes out around 100' and is more of an "I did it" dive rather than "super cool" IMO. I have been to Cozumel many times, never interested me enough to go try it.

You might ask about diving the wreck there (C-53 I think?). It's a neat dive but sometimes currents can be strong. I got lucky and there was almost no current when I dove it.

Any operator who would take you to Devil's Throat would be entirely irresponsible.

Back
Top Bottom