Biggest thing killing dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During the time I’ve been in business I have been set up to take cards. At one point the bank made me fill out some paperwork and sign some affidavits stating that all customer credit card info was secured, either digitally or physically, or destroyed. It could have been a CA law? Can’t remember, but I had to swear that I did not have loose numbers just kicking around willy nilly for everyone to see.
The fines were stiff if someone’s info was compromised and they could prove it was negligent.

Tuscon.

Tusconites were diving in San Carlos before the rest of the Americans found it. I have made that long trek down route 15....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting !

San Carlos-- some recollections of the past

Diving In and around that unknown area was promoted by Ernesto Zarzota when he organized and promoted the first (and last) Inter-America Spear fishing meet in 1955 between Mexican locals and US teams all from SoCal .

The meet was won by the Douglas Air Craft team of the late Howard Patton and John Gaffney who a decade later founded NASDS. All places and trophies were won by US teams.....That is why it was the first and last meet....

I first dove there a few months later when I was a USAF officer stationed at Luke AFB with Christopher "Kit" Horn (Google his name) - We did not wear sun protection and got the worse sun burn we ever had- FYI sun burns are an offense under regulations -- "damaging government property"

After separation from USAF I returned to SC almost yearly until about 1962=3 . Never had any contact with other divers .specially from Arizona

My last visit there civilization had arrived--trailer were doting the landscape a marina was being constructed and a yacht club had been established. I was camping on the point next tp some Texas Baptist preachers who made the long trip to catch enough fish for a big money raising fish fry back in Texas.

I had shot a almost 40 pound Pargo - cant recall the exact weight It didn't seem important, so I shared the fish with my new found Texas friends.

A few days later I visited the yacht club for the first and last time -- there was a Pargo tournament in progress -- My Pargo which I ate weighed 20 pounds more than the leader -

I never returned - I suspect that the Arizonians discovered the area after that..
I did however publish an article titled "The Magnificent Gas Gun" in the now defunct national divining magazine Discover Diving The article documents our constructing , testing and finally spearing at San Carlos

Those were tha dazz of our dives

Sam Miller, III

During the time I’ve been in business I have been set up to take cards. At one point the bank made me fill out some paperwork and sign some affidavits stating that all customer credit card info was secured, either digitally or physically, or destroyed. It could have been a CA law? Can’t remember, but I had to swear that I did not have loose numbers just kicking around willy nilly for everyone to see.
The fines were stiff if someone’s info was compromised and they could prove it was negligent.
You're likely thinking of when they pushed out the Payment Card Industry Security Standards, which all of the major credit cards have adopted. If you read the standards, it's clearly a violation of every existing merchant processing agreement to store a customer's credit card information on an unsecured bit of paper, and especially for seven years.

I only posted it as yet another example of a silly dive shop policy, to add to the collection of silly dive shop policies.

Exactly.

The company that scoops my dog poop provides better customer service than most dive shops:
  • They do what they say they're going to do, when they say they're going to do it.
  • They bill me accurately and communicate any delays or changes in service.
  • They encourage me to report any issues and promise that they'll resolve them within 24 hours.
  • They have one billing policy that may seem goofy, but they provide an in-depth explanation for why they do it that way.
  • They offer various incentives and discounts to maintain their competitive edge.
  • When my elder dog died and I changed service down to one dog, I received a personalized and signed condolence card from the staff.
  • I get a regular customer survey asking how they're doing, and they follow up with a personalized call if you rate them anything less than excellent.
Compared to the average dive shop, where there's always something off. Had a shop tell me this past weekend they needed to keep my hand-written credit card information on file for 7 years for "liability purposes". Stored, of course, in an unlocked filing cabinet with what looked like hundreds of others.

/facepalm.

So now I either get to argue with another dive shop owner, or just cancel that card. Probably easiest to do the latter.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoaaaaaaaaaa. You have a company that scoops your dog poo?

There are basically two options:

Climb to the top or race to the bottom.
It is even possible to work at both ends of the market by working at having both a bricks and mortar shop (with good stock, friendly and helpful staff, good trips, instructors etc) as well as selling on line with keen prices.

The main thing is to provide good service no matter whether in a physical shop or in an online shop.

It is even possible to work at both ends of the market by working at having both a bricks and mortar shop (with good stock, friendly and helpful staff, good trips, instructors etc) as well as selling on line with keen prices.

The main thing is to provide good service no matter whether in a physical shop or in an online shop.
Of course it is. Both scuba.com and diverightinscuba.com do this - probably others that I'm not aware of. I don't live near either but I've bought things from both online stores and had good experiences.

The dive shops in my area that even bothered to put up an online store only made a half-hearted effort. The result in the latter is an online store that's difficult to use and has terrible prices. It's a shame.

Reactions: mdb
Of course it is. Both scuba.com and diverightinscuba.com do this - probably others that I'm not aware of. I don't live near either but I've bought things from both online stores and had good experiences.

The dive shops in my area that even bothered to put up an online store only made a half-hearted effort. The result in the latter is an online store that's difficult to use and has terrible prices. It's a shame.
I would call DGE in your area. No, they are no longer brick and mortar, but for those of us who remember their store (beautiful gas supply house), they are still awesome, and the source for about half of my purchases.

Although LeisurePro transitioned smoothly from B&M and catalog to online, I don't shop there. No real reason, I just don't. The first store I remember making the transition well was ScubaToys in Arlington, TX. I don't know what happened to their online presence, they seem to have faded. I still buy my Purple OxyCheq wings from them if they have them. Otherwise it's John from NE Scuba Supply, who also carries all of the obscure OMS valve kits for my ancient doubles.

Reactions: mdb
I would call DGE in your area. No, they are no longer brick and mortar, but for those of us who remember their store (beautiful gas supply house), they are still awesome, and the source for about half of my purchases.

Though not a traditional store, you can order with Dive Gear Express online and pick up at their office front/warehouse in Pompano Beach. I've done this a couple times when I wanted my order the same day. Their customer service is second to none, phone, email, chat, or in person.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoaaaaaaaaaa. You have a company that scoops your dog poo?
Want their number? If you sign up, I get a couple bucks my bill off each month. :wink:

I should have changed that to something more generic like "lawn service"...

Back
Top Bottom