65+ Grumpy Old Divers (or NOT Grumpy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not nice to laugh at old people. Just kidding of course, and I am glad that you get to see that being old does not necessarily mean you have to stop doing things you enjoy. But you will likely have to do them slower, and for many things slower is better.

While I am not officially “old”, and my outside doesn’t look too “old” (yet) LOL, I went through a serious illness a few years ago and experienced all the ailments that people in nursing homes get. As a result, I “get it” so to speak. That’s why I enjoy the company of older folks...cause they understand what I’ve gone through (and vice versa). Plus, they’re just funny to be around mostly. :wink:

Just chiming in on the role call here. I'm 66 and have been certified for 50 years. Although I've done the vast majority of my diving in the past 20 years or so, I still fondly recall the begins of my scuba adventure. Things were very different then.

It was and is a great life ! Enjoy it while you can as long as your can-- all too soon all you will have is memories
Sam Miller,111

And that's why I take videos--when the day comes that I can't dive any more I'll sit and watch my Cozumel videos while wearing my Cozumel dive T-shirt, drinking coffee from my Cozumel coffee cup, then I'll watch my Hawai'i videos.....

It's not nice to laugh at old people. Just kidding of course, and I am glad that you get to see that being old does not necessarily mean you have to stop doing things you enjoy. But you will likely have to do them slower, and for many things slower is better.

My girlfriend, having gotten certified last year at 66, has been an inspiration to many of our friends and members of our family. After all, if Grandma and Grandpa can do it, anybody can! We went to the Catalina Dive Park recently with our two oldest grandkids (10 and 7) and they actually got to see us go scuba diving and they think we are super-cool and want to try diving now. So do many others so lately I've been putting together more sets of gear and doing repairs that I had put off. No doubt I'll end up the the "last choice" regulator :wink:

Just turned 71. Grumpy? I have my curmudgeon's reputation to protect.

Its not the years its the mileage and damn those were some good miles! 59 here and been diving 40 years. Bring back horse collar bc's, navy dive tables and double hose regulator's. Oh and I don't remember the 80's....... :)

I’ll be 70 in May, and my first dive on compressed air was in 1958. I’m an active dive instructor and work as DM a on a dive charter 200 days a year. What makes me grumpy is that you “old grumpy divers” will never buy any new gear. You all insist on continuing to use the same gear you bought in 1979. Same old mask with stiff seals, BC patched with aqua seal, and hoses patched with electrical tape. Weight integrated BC, won’t think of it despite fact ya can’t keep a weight belt on due to a waist long gone. Makes me Grumpy.
P.S. all in jest, but if the shoe fits.........
I will be 72 in a couple months. Lived 55 years in Las Vegas (diving there sucks) but just moved to FL to dive more...Went on trip three weeks ago and had great time on Exuma Bank. Dive master asked me at end of week if I would join crew for a trip two weeks later to explore for new sites...twist my arm there!!! Did another 8 days of dives, just DM and me, and today I went looking for a new BC to replace my 25 year old Zeagle....I am going to dive till I die, now all I need is more old guys to go diving with......

Not 65 quite yet, but not too far behind. While I'm not "retired", I am starting to slow down a bit (own my own business) and my wife and I plan on trying to dive even more than we do now.

Yep, staying active certainly helps you from growing too old too fast.

Th first BIU was the At Pac (attitude pack) designed and initially produced in American Divers in Whitter, California by Larry Scott and Bill Walters Sr (LA CO UW Instructor). Later moved to a large facility in Fountain Valley California

Possibly one of the most modern east to use units ever made..

Internal bickering and poor financial management spelled the end for the company

Now you know...

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom