Ambergris Caye, where to stay? Dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am headed to Ambergris Caye in April, bringing whole family, 2 divers, 3 non divers.

Any idea as to where to stay?

Need to rent three bedroom spot, hoping for some beach. Last trip was to grand caymen and I know I will not see beach like that however any input would be appreciated
I am also looking for dive ops.

From what I have read, I will be skipping the blue hole.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Been a few years, we stayed at Paradise Villas and used Island Divers. Can't say enough good things about Rudy's op and Paradise is ocean front. There are two (2) companies representing different units at Paradise. Both are in central San Pedro, so not much beach.

Do yourself a favor and get a 20l bottle of water from a convenience store (couple in walking distance). Four of us went through 40l in a week stay. Pays to buy in bulk and they were good about refunding the bottle deposit.

I had a great experience at Romon's Village resort over Christmas, its right in town.
Their in house dive shop, boats, staff all top notch as well. No hesitation in recommending them. Great place for non-divers as well!

I had a great experience at Romon's Village resort over Christmas, its right in town.
Their in house dive shop, boats, staff all top notch as well. No hesitation in recommending them. Great place for non-divers as well!

Ramon's is very pricey but nice. Next door to Ramon's is The Palms Suites,The Belize Palms - Suites & Hotel - San Pedro, Belize , 1-3 bedrooms, all on the beach. Stay at The Palms and dive with Ramon's next door. We have done it many times.

We stayed here:
Two rooms - one for old farts and one for teenagers

Blue Tang Inn

Could walk to everything - including the dive op we used Chuck & Robbies

Nice place to stay and two supermarkets and a coffee shop two minutes walk away.

I am reading about garbage in the water at the beach, has anyone seen this?

I do not think I can swap out me tickets at this point however I have seen some reviews of more bottles and cans then fish, anyone?

Maybe I can switch to Utila

Trash washing up on the beaches can happen, although I've never seen it down in Placencia but I've heard about it there. Presumably dumped by cruise ships, those b*stards. But in any case it's not so much of a problem that it would cause me to go elsewhere.

As far as places to stay on the mainland, there are a ton of places to choose from, almost all of which are either further south, like Placencia or Hopkins, or inland like San Ignacio in the Cayo District or for the truly adventurous Punta Gorda in the Toledo District. If you're wanting to dive off the mainland, then either Placencia or Hopkins. If you're looking for jungle, the SI or PG. All of these places are close enough that you can easily combine all or some combination of them in one trip.

I am reading about garbage in the water at the beach, has anyone seen this?

I do not think I can swap out me tickets at this point however I have seen some reviews of more bottles and cans then fish, anyone?

Maybe I can switch to Utila

Utila has the same floating garbage problem as anywhere else in the Caribbean. Some of it washes in from the mainland after heavy rains, some of it is from passing ships, including cruise ships. Plastic containers, etc. should be outlawed internationally. Paper is much more biodegradable like we had years ago. I am not a tree hugger but it is so obvious what is at the root of this problem - plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom