Formula for estimating wing size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're diving a balanced rig, it's pretty easy. You need to float the rig without you in it. Remember most of this is measure with a laser, mark it with chalk, and have stevie wonder cut it with a rusty chainsaw while playing his piano with his other hand. So, the easy "formula" is 18-20 for an 80, 20-30 for a steel of various sizes, 40 for a set of 80 doubles with a couple 80 stages, 60 for steel twins with 80 stages.

Dive a balanced rig from the get go, and you don't need to anguish over the difference between a 23lb wing and a 27lb wing. Hell, I dive an 18lb wing when I'm diving an 80 in short/rashy or a 3-5mm wetsuit.

Just do a search. Tobin, the owner of DSS, has explained that at least half a dozen times on here. Alternatively, give him an call and he will go through it with you (deepseasupply.com)

If weighted correctly the wing has to float the size of your rig with a full tank and compensate for the loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit. Figure out these two numbers and then chose the larger one for your wing size.

Somewhere here( I think I’m the bcd forum) there’s a thing call the ultimate wing calculator. You plug in all your info and it spits out what size wing you need.

If you can’t find it here I can email you a copy.

Thank you. I don't plan to dive tech. It is purely for ease of travel. My BCD takes up a lot of room that I think can be compressed with a BP/W. I'm not concerned with checked baggage weight at the moment (it may change), but I do try to stay under 50#. I don't travel with lead or tanks so any gear volume/weight reduction works for me.

Ya my current BCD is quite heavy as well and takes up space as well. You have 10 times more dives than me so I am sure you know what you want, but you if you don't plan to dive tech, while most here will argue or debate this to end saying that BP/W is the best, I would highly advice you take a look at Scubapro Hydros Pro or the Aqualung Rogue (This will most likely replace my rec bcd soon and even has integrated weights option and really minimal)

Just do a search. Tobin, the owner of DSS, has explained that at least half a dozen times on here. Alternatively, give him an call and he will go through it with you (deepseasupply.com)

If weighted correctly the wing has to float the size of your rig with a full tank and compensate for the loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit. Figure out these two numbers and then chose the larger one for your wing size.

I too found his explanation very practical and easy.

Note regarding wetsuit boyancy:
Different wetsuit neoprene compresses differently. New suits have huge boyancy swing until they are broken in and somewhat crushed. They seem to stabilize after the first few dozen deep dives.
The next factor is we often use a rule of thumb for wetsuits based on thickness... The forgotten factor is how much wetsuit surface area there is. Weighting a wetsuit can give a very good estimate. I'd need to Google the conversion multiplier. All I'm saying is a 5mm slim M wetsuit needs way less lead when compared to a 2mm XXL wide fit. It isn't even the body type inside it... It's the actual suit. The cubic volume of neoprene (thickness times surface area) and it's buoyancy characteristics (how much air it contains).

That spreadsheet is ridiculous. The only thing any air bladder has to lift is to compensate for wetsuit compression and air in the tank. And also, a few extra pounds at the surface is nice too, though you will have a fully buoyant wetsuit and an empty tank (at the end of the dive) to keep you from sinking.

If you need more lift, you've added too much weight to your belt/bcd and aren't set up to be neutral at 500 psi.

Last edited:
That spreadsheet is ridiculous.

I could never make heads or tails of it.

I decided to wait till my tech course begins and pester my instructor for guidance depending upon my requirements.

when you figure your minimum wing size, dont forget,,,,, to hold you on the surface means keeping your head out of the water,,,, add another 10# lift for that min size. If you in your rig is 15 neg then 15 will keep you neutral at the surface but you will need 25 to keep your head held out of he water.

BC's, *ALL* BC's are used to Compensate for things that have variable Buoyancy WRT to depth.

What besides the diver's exposure suit has the capacity to loose buoyancy as the diver descends?

Keep it simple folks, massive displays of overthinking in this thread.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom